Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent axle flanges? W/ video

Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent axle flanges? W/ video

I have a clicking noise coming from the rear of my jkur when I accelerate and decelerate. When I'm at speed I don't hear it. I was thinking my rear axle shaft flanges were bent so i took off my wheels and put the jeep on jack stands and put it in gear. I heard shhhhh noise that got more intense on one side of the rotor. The caliper is touching the rotor slightly all the way around the spin. I can see that something is out of true when I look at it but it seems minimal. I'll post a vid and need someone to tell me if my axle shafts need replacing. I've got a set of new ones from a 2015 jkur this guy will sell me for $180. Is that a decent deal? I'll post the vid and let me know what you think. I'm running 35" tires and the jeep had 30k miles on it.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Video

Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/Nk6E9oblFGw
Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump need some help
Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what mine looked like when I bent my factory ones. As far as the $180 the price seems good, but you will likely bend those too. If you can, now is the time to upgrade the axle shafts. I went with the ten factory shafts purchased through Northridge with the bearings already pressed. When I removed my stock shafts, the splines were twisted on one of them. It was just a matter of time before I broke the shaft.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I just am short on cash right now so buying chromoly shafts would be tough at the moment. What's the damage if I just leave them on there for about a month? Will anything happen to the housing, brakes rotors, etc. ??

Originally Posted by Just_Q
That's what mine looked like when I bent my factory ones. As far as the $180 the price seems good, but you will likely bend those too. If you can, now is the time to upgrade the axle shafts. I went with the ten factory shafts purchased through Northridge with the bearings already pressed. When I removed my stock shafts, the splines were twisted on one of them. It was just a matter of time before I broke the shaft.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

With it touching the brakes it could wear them out somewhat. Also if you did like me and bent them off road which twisted the splines if it breaks then it is more difficult to replace and could potentially damage more parts. I actually ran mine for about 4 weeks before I replaced them. It wasn't until I replaced them that I found i twisted splines on the driver side. If one of the shafts break then you are unable to drive it as the shafts will come out. Maybe someone has a quick trail fix for that.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Imay be wrong, but it looks like warped discs to me. Is the face of the brake disc (The part against the wheel) running true?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Idk it mite just be the metal shield rubbing the rotor . Mine did the same thing I bent it a little
Old 07-14-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you watch the bottom of the screen where the rotor rotates into the caliper you can see that there is a wobble.

Quick Reply: Bent axle flanges? W/ video