Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5160 shocks warrenty/ service question

Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein 5160 shocks warrenty/ service question

So I got these shocks from a 4inch lift that I bought off someone and they came with the bilstein 5160s. And well I was told that I can send them back to bilstein to get serviced being that 2 of the shocks are leaking.. But my question is do I have to be the original purchaser of the shocks to send them in or can I just send them in no questions ask. Just wondering if anyone knows how this process works or has been in my situation before. ??
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Found right on their website:

WARRANTY DETAILS FOR 9300 / 9100 / 7100 / 6100 / 5165 / 5160 / 5150 / 5125 SERIES / BILSTEIN B16 Clubsport® / MOTORSPORTS PRODUCT

LIMITED 90 DAY WARRANTY

Bilstein warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any implied warranty of merchantability, fitness or fitness for particular purpose, except as may be prohibited by applicable law, is likewise limited in duration to ninety (90) days from the date of original retail purchase. Some States do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts so the above limitation may not apply to you.
This warranty is non-transferable and does not cover normal wear and tear or any other loss, liability or damage resulting from improper alteration, disassembly, handling, installation, service, repair or use of this product. Should this product fail as a result of a defect in materials or workmanship within the warranty period, contact Bilstein's Warranty Service Department by telephone at 1(800) 370-9522, or in writing at ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America 14102 Stowe Drive, Poway, California, 92064, for repair or replacement at Manufacturer's option. Do not return this motorsports product to the place of purchase. Proof of purchase is required to process warranty.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the easiest thing to do is to call them...
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Their warranties dont transfer. They ask for a receipt before they'll do anything. I went through the same thing over the summer. The lady who handles warranties, Lisa Ciacci, was definitely less than cordial. First she claimed they were installed upside down (they werent) and then that I had overtightened the top bolts (I hadnt).
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertgreen79
Their warranties dont transfer. They ask for a receipt before they'll do anything. I went through the same thing over the summer. The lady who handles warranties, Lisa Ciacci, was definitely less than cordial. First she claimed they were installed upside down (they werent) and then that I had overtightened the top bolts (I hadnt).
Kind of reminds me of an insurance company. They say no its denied until you press them... and hard.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did press, and it was a no go. I hadn't even bought them used. I actually got them from the Quadratec sidewalk sale. Unfortunately I used cash and the issues started a year after I bought them so of course there was no receipt. The closest thing to warranting I could get was for me to pay to ship them back and to pay for a new set. IF they found any issues they would refund me half of the money. Since they had already tried saying that it was my fault I highly doubt it I get any money back

All that aside, it was honestly my fault that it couldn't work out. I should have been more vigilant in keeping that receipt

Last edited by robertgreen79; 10-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is why after the second 5100 started leaking and sagging I went to a better shock that was customer rebuildable. Nice to have shocks that don't heat up and fail on you.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red09
This is why after the second 5100 started leaking and sagging I went to a better shock that was customer rebuildable. Nice to have shocks that don't heat up and fail on you.
What shocks did you end up getting?

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5160 shocks warrenty/ service question