Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body armor swing arm help?!?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine didn't even come with instructions. What confuses me, is that there is no hole in the swing arm post for a cotter pin after you put the castle nut on. I've never seen anything like this before...
Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that mine does have a hole for the cotter pin.
Id have to pull the cap and find out.
FWIW, One of the previous posts has two hyperlinks for the bumper.
The first link is for the other bumper because it shows
the carrier attatched with a hinge pin.
That carrier has the cans behind the spare.
Here are a couple of pics of the jack on the adaptor.
Second pic shows nothing holding it on the top.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi Lift Jack 001.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	324937Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi Lift Jack 002.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	324938

Also, when I had a drooping the first time, this is what I found when I disassembled the carrier.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310116.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	324975Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310117.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	324976

Last edited by donnie; 06-03-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09
Mine didn't even come with instructions. What confuses me, is that there is no hole in the swing arm post for a cotter pin after you put the castle nut on. I've never seen anything like this before...
I had similar issues with my install. When I received the kit, the instructions weren't the best. The bumper itself went on very well, but the swing arm took some doing. I finally found a race for the larger bearing buried in a plastic bag. Once I got that pounded in, the rest of the installation made sense.

It sort of sounds like you received the wrong large bearing (if the arm doesn't fit over the post). I did some research, and found replacement bearings / races from Timken. The lower bearing in the kit was an NSK L68149/10 806. The replacement from Timken is an L68149 bearing, and an L68110 race.

As to a cotter-pin through the castle-nut, yes, it doesn't make sense, but if you get yourself a slightly smaller pin, and bend a curve in it, it will go through the post. Lots of work with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Once that was done, and a little extra grease added, I found the cap to be "very" loose. I just took a little silicon seal (or RTV), and put a light film around the outer edge. Pushed it into place, and let it dry. So far, no problems.

Later, I purchase the gas can carriers. These also took a little work and adaptation. I had to do some grinding on the drivers' side mount, as the mount would push into the plastic rear gate handle. I also didn't like the fact that the carriers relied only on the drill / tap into the swing arm. I bought new SS bolts, and drilled all the way through the carrier frame for the vertical holes.

Hope this helps. If not, pictures of your install might be useful.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

FWIW, the swing arm Iv got is the 5294 which is the newer version and the arms are already drilled and tapped for the can carriers.
Appreciate the info on the bearings in case they should need replacing.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

So there was some crazy sagging and play in the carrier so I pulled it off and guess what... The lower bearing is trashed... I have a second bearing identical to the first and now that one won't fit over the post. I emailed and called every extension body armor has and no response yet. I'm a half an hour away from losing complete faith in the company and driving to their main office and throwing the bumpers on their front steps. Anybody get their carrier issues sorted out? The bearings set in place fine but when it comes time to tighten the nut, it pries the latch end of the carrier downwards. I just don't get it... What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

YES YES YES.
Im glad to hear about someone else having the same problem.
Shortly after installing the carrier, mine sagged and I found the same problem.
Emailed the manufacturer and they sent me a couple of spacers and a replacement
set of bearings.
Now Iv got the same problem as before.
Sent several emails but got no response from them.
I did get a set from another member on this forum but havent had a chance to change them out yet.
FWIW, I ordered the Hi Lift jack mount for it.
When I installed it, I found that the top mount requires the can carrier to complete the install
which IS NOT mentioned anywhere in the ad for the mount.
I guess they confirm that you get what you pay for.
Seriuosly thinking about taking the dam thing off, scrapping it and getting something else.
Sorry for the rant but it just pissed me off.
If you do go by the company, let us know what the results are.

Last edited by donnie; 06-15-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble!

Have you guys tried working through the vendor that sold you the carrier? They tend to have a little more leverage and clout then the average end user.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble!

Have you guys tried working through the vendor that sold you the carrier? They tend to have a little more leverage and clout then the average end user.

That is a good idea execpt I dont remember whhch vendor I got mine from.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Had a tough time getting mine on too.

What you might want to try is going to a trailer place nearby that has a garage. If the place has a parts department even better. All the parts for that swing arm are from a trailer hub assembly. I bet someone there could help you put it together for a few bucks. I got some water up through the rubber grommet and the bearing rusted out and had to replace it. Went to a local trailer shop and they really helped me out. Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Shittiest product ever

I've bought some bad after-market parts before but this takes the cake, with lots of extra icing, cherries, ice cream, coconut shavings, and peanut butter cups (the full sized ones not the mini ones) on top.

The first bumper I bought seemed like it wasn't even made for the JK even though it was listed as such. I had to grind down the swing arm to have clearance for the tailgate handle. Then of course there was the sagging.

At first the customer service was helpful, and they sent me shims, which, after wasting a bunch of times, I added. Did not fix the problem. But I lived with it for a while. That is until one of the gas can carriers started cracking. Seems like it couldn't take the hi-lift jack mount and it just cracked through.

They sent me another set and with enough complaining, also a new swing arm. This time, one that worked. No sagging even without the shims and proper cut-outs for the tailgate handle (which was already screwed up from the previous one).

Then the sagging started again. And then the gas carrier cracked again as well (we are now at maybe a bit over a year since my initial purchase). After making me take more pictures and e-mail them, and dig up my receipt and such, they finally sent me a replacement set of carriers. This took a couple of months as there was always some reason they couldn't do it right away. They also promised that they would send me a new set of bearings, seal, and dust cap (the way the product is designed this needs to be replaced every time you open it up to tighten the bolt or do any repairs!).

Couple weeks go by and I e-mail to follow up. They decided not to help me out any longer because of a review I posted on jeepforum a year ago. Basically, they blackmailed me saying that I could either remove the review, or forget about getting any more service. They also threatened me with lawsuits if I said anything else negative about them or if I revealed any information about those discussions with anyone.

Basically, if you want to put a piece of crap on the back of your rig, get the Body Armor bumper and swing arm. If you want to save yourself a lot of hassle and the money you'll eventually need to spend fixing or replacing said piece of crap, do yourself a huge favor and find something else.

Quick Reply: Body armor swing arm help?!?