Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body roll

Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TaylarsJK
That's what I'm thinking, just trying to figure it out before I start spending money. Thanks for the help
Didn't rear links come with your Metal Cloak lift kit or did you do a franken-build? I would have thought if you bought the suspension kit from MC the proper rear links would be included.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the length of the links affect body roll? I would have thought they can cause the sway bar to pretzel if too short but it isn't like he is running disconnected. Just curious.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Roll center correction bracket please sir
Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Roll center correction bracket please sir
He said he has the raised TB in the back.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
He said he has the raised TB in the back.
Oh I missed that part just saw stock track bar. My bad.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Didn't rear links come with your Metal Cloak lift kit or did you do a franken-build? I would have thought if you bought the suspension kit from MC the proper rear links would be included.
Franken-build. I started with a 4" Rough Country lift, but that had to go. I've been piecing together a gamechanger kit since then
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Does the length of the links affect body roll? I would have thought they can cause the sway bar to pretzel if too short but it isn't like he is running disconnected. Just curious.
Torque = Force x distance

Physics comes into play once again. Take two examples. The first where the sway bar link and the sway bar arm are exactly 90 degrees / perpendicular to one another. Visualize the force vector moving up along that sway bar link from the **outside tires ** as you make a right turn. That's 100% force being applied along the x-axis and applied to the lever arm (this case the sway bar arm) which is the most optimum application of force to that bar/lever.

Now take the next example where the sway bar link is pointed 45 degrees downward because your links are too short. Now visualize the force vectors in that system that are now in play. Since upward force is now being applied at an angle and you now have X & Y component vectors being applied, you've decreased the magnitude of the force being applied upward along the x-axis which is the one most needed to counter compression in a turn.

Last edited by DJ1; 04-14-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by DJ1
Now take the next example where the sway bar link is pointed 45 degrees downward because your links are too short. Now visualize the force vectors in that system that are now in play. Since upward force is now being applied at an angle and you now have X & Y component vectors being applied, you've decreased the magnitude of the force being applied upward along the x-axis which is the one most needed to counter compression in a turn.
This second case is actually more simplified because for simplicity's sake I'm keeping the sway bar arm still perfectly lined along the Y-axis but the concept still doesn't change...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
This second case is actually more simplified because for simplicity's sake I'm keeping the sway bar arm still perfectly lined along the Y-axis but the concept still doesn't change...
I would think a sway bar at 45* would be stiffer than 90* would it not? Less leverage.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
DJ1
Former Member

No. You want more leverage to counter body-roll, not less.

Quick Reply: Body roll