Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
What's the consensus on Teraflex's big rotor kit? Combine these rotors with some quality pads and you ought to have some good braking, but I haven't talked with anyone who's actually run this setup so I have no idea how happy owners are with this option.
I have the "full" Teraflex kit...oversized rotors, calipers and pads. They make a huge difference! I can actually get the ABS working with 35's on dry pavement; I could never get the ABS working with the stockers. The jeep now stops nearly as well as my VW Touareg, which has Brembos all the way around. BTW, I'm running about 1,000 extra pounds of weight with full skid plates, steel bumpers front/rear with spare tire carrier with rack, steel drawer system, Gobi rack, and 35" MTZs on Walker Evans bead locks.

Last edited by GoBig; 08-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi

Really? At under $300 I would think this provides the biggest gain in braking per dollar of all the options out there and is super easy to install.
thats there basic kit and is only rotors..311 for just rotors?! There big brake kit is without cylinder that includes just pads on top of rotors is 759... Add the master cylinder in they recommend and its a whole shit pile of money...

I know my applications different but i got the 13" rotor, new calipers and pads, and master cylinder for 300-350 max and its performance should stomp just there rotors and keep up with there full on kit......So yes i will say there pricing sucks ass.

ive never tried this, but may work

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...kee&vi=1504703

they are much less... my point being if you look around on some slightly older vehicles with same bolt pattern you may find the rotors for as low as like 35 bucks each...

As for the drilled and slotted...I see no point for those on a jeep....

Last edited by Maertz; 08-21-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
thats there basic kit and is only rotors..311 for just rotors?! There big brake kit is without cylinder that includes just pads on top of rotors is 759... Add the master cylinder in they recommend and its a whole shit pile of money...

I know my applications different but i got the 13" rotor, new calipers and pads, and master cylinder for 300-350 max and its performance should stomp just there rotors and keep up with there full on kit......So yes i will say there pricing sucks ass.
Also as someone said earlier the Mopar parts are more readily available and not special order.

If you need rotors and pads the BR6 parts are not much more and its still Mopar. I don't think you need a new MC as the caliper and pistons are the same size just mount out further.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

This is probably a stupid question, but it has been mentioned, so I figured I would ask:

I understand the benefits of drilled, or slotted, or drilled and slotted rotors for street use. And, there are several products out there for the JK offering these options, including Teraflex. It just seems like a good way to get mud and grime under the pad in muddy off road situations. Is that actually a worry, or is it just me?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz

As for the drilled and slotted...I see no point for those on a jeep....
There's more to the basic kit than just the rotors - what you're really paying for is the caliper brackets. The kit happens to come with rotors ($289 for the kit with non-drilled & slotted rotors) but if the rotors ever need to be replaced and you don't want to get them from Teraflex, you can just find whatever application they're originally intended for (Dodge pickup?) at your local auto parts store for $35 and machine the 5x5 lug pattern into them. Seems simple to me.

I have no experience with the kit though. I'm not particularly a fan of Teraflex, and I have no Teraflex parts on my Jeep; I just thought this basic big-rotor kit looked like a cheap and easy way to make big gains in braking performance. Other than our different perceptions of value, are there any reasons why this isn't a good option as an effective entry-level brake upgrade?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi

There's more to the basic kit than just the rotors - what you're really paying for is the caliper brackets. The kit happens to come with rotors ($289 for the kit with non-drilled & slotted rotors) but if the rotors ever need to be replaced and you don't want to get them from Teraflex, you can just find whatever application they're originally intended for (Dodge pickup?) at your local auto parts store for $35 and machine the 5x5 lug pattern into them. Seems simple to me.

I have no experience with the kit though. I'm not particularly a fan of Teraflex, and I have no Teraflex parts on my Jeep; I just thought this basic big-rotor kit looked like a cheap and easy way to make big gains in braking performance. Other than our different perceptions of value, are there any reasons why this isn't a good option as an effective entry-level brake upgrade?

I havent had a good look at the d44 in quite awhile, but Honestly i would think you could just get a d60 weld on bracket or similar for like 30 bucks and make other brakes of most any d60 axle work on your 44. I just dont see a value to it as i like doing stuff differently and dont mind cutting and grinding. To some i agree with you it may be a simple easy add on for some performance gains. How much performance im not sure, its just bigger rotors. The calipers and cylinder and such are not changing.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the terraflex big rotor kit and hawk lts pads front and rear. the kit is two rotors and two caliper brackets. I talked to some one at terraflex and found out that the rotors are dodge 1500 rotors with a second set of holes drilled for the jk lug pattern. after adding a lot of weight in the form of bumpers, skids, winch, etc. (see my sig) a 3 1/2" lift and 35's, I found the brakes somewhat lacking. after the big rotor kit and hawk pads I think it is as good as stock or slightly better.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tlmarks
I talked to some one at terraflex and found out that the rotors are dodge 1500 rotors with a second set of holes drilled for the jk lug pattern.
That's great to know! Any idea what year range 1500? That'll solve the problem of "proprietary" parts if we ever wear through a set of the rotors and need a replacement set. Punching out the JK's oddball lug pattern is a piece of cake.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

That's great to know! Any idea what year range 1500? That'll solve the problem of "proprietary" parts if we ever wear through a set of the rotors and need a replacement set. Punching out the JK's oddball lug pattern is a piece of cake.
just go to oreilleys or a similar, i bet there about 35 bucks as I said earlier. If your drilling the bolt pattern im sure a ton of different options, but there are some that wont need drilling that cost just a tad more...
Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I swapped in Black Magic pads and rotors up front. I went through the break in process and I wasn't that impressed at first. Now after 3,000 miles or so my brakes went from anemic (stock) to what I would consider "normal" or slightly better than normal (similar braking force to my new MDX) which is a big improvement over stock.

A little more break dust but I no longer mash the peddle through the floor when I have to stop quick. Overall I am pleased with the value vs. performance.

I also have stainless lines, 35" tires, 4" lift, bumpers, winch, and 4 doors.

Quick Reply: Brakes!