Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes upgrade for 2016 JKU

Old 12-29-2016, 02:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes upgrade for 2016 JKU

After adding the usual accessories to my 2016 JKU, I am interested in looking into a possible upgrade over the stock braking system which seems marginal at best to me. Has anyone done a brake upgrade ? what did you use ? and was the improvement worth the cost and effort ?
Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Terraflex Big Brakes kit up front. SKU: 4303400
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72f3b
and the Powerstop pads and rotors in the rear.
Power Stop 1-Click Extreme Truck & Tow Brake Kits | Power Stop

This was probably the most economical way to go and they stop fine. I have 34.5" tires (295/70/18).
Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivan9162
After adding the usual accessories to my 2016 JKU, I am interested in looking into a possible upgrade over the stock braking system which seems marginal at best to me. Has anyone done a brake upgrade ? what did you use ? and was the improvement worth the cost and effort ?
there is a big brake kit available. Do a search for JKU big brake kit. I bet you'll find options. I didn't go with bigger brakes but I did install Hawk LTS pads. They provided me with a very noticeable improvement in stopping performance, though at the expense of much more brake dust.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I am waiting on my Dynatrac ProGrip brake system to arrive. It is completely bolt on, and no need to bleed the brakes. Will give feedback once I install it. Reviews on it are great.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Are you just looking for pads? New stock sized rotors? Bigger rotor's? Beefier calipers?

Teraflex and Dynatrac have Big Rotor kits. They are about 2" bigger than stock, and they include brackets to move the stock calipers further out. Require min 17" rims, which it looks like you have.

Teraflex and Mopar make front Big Brake kits. These have bigger rotors with brackets like the big rotor kits, but also replace the stock calipers with twin piston versions. The Mopar kit includes a new booster/master, it is optional for the teraflex. These will need the brakes bled.

Then Baer and Wilwood and whoever else have more expensive options.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the Teraflex BB kit for several years and while it does stop the Jeep better than stock I can't recommend it.

I have had the calipers replaces twice by Teraflex.

My passenger caliper now needs new caliper boots yet there is no rebuild kit.

I'm on my second set of rotors and 3rd set of pads. The wear was normal. The pads seem to glaze easily then have a real fun squeak.

I would recommend the Pro Grip.

I installed the rear pro grip about 6 months ago and its been great.

I recently installed the front and rear pro grip on a friends JKU and it out performs my combo of Treaflex on the front and Pro Grip.

We both have rubicon's on 37's and similar armor.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know what OEM pads the Terraflex BB kit uses? I believe they are from a Dodge truck, mine squeal pretty bad as well and i'm on my second set of pads. Would like to use Hawk or Power Stop replacements.

Don't mean to steal thread but it does pertain to initial comment.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I am waiting on my Dynatrac ProGrip brake system to arrive. It is completely bolt on, and no need to bleed the brakes. Will give feedback once I install it. Reviews on it are great.
I have this brake upgrade installed and I'm very impressed with it. My vehicles weighs just short of 5400 lbs and it stops much better with this upgrade.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivan9162
This might help your decision out, it's an install and review of our ProGrip system done by Off-Road Xtreme. AS mentioned before, ProGrip doesn't require you to open the brake system, so no need for bleeding, and you can do the entire install yourself.

Dynatrac Delivers Greater Grip For Jeep Wrangler JK Brake Systems - Off Road Xtreme
Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

The Mopar BBK is far and away the best bang for your buck and for more reasons than I wish to get into. To start with, why would anyone want to increase the capacity of their calipers without increasing their supply by way of the booster and master cylinder and hoses? Brakes are no place to screw around no matter the cost. It takes me less time to replace the cylinder and booster than to change calipers and rotors. As far as opening the system and having to properly bleed it, if you can't handle that you shouldn't be doing anything else to the brakes either since this is about as simple as it gets. Willwood and others offer more high end brake parts that may offer a slightly better result but most would never know the difference and the cost is thousands more. I've dealt with a lot of different systems and when you look at the whole picture as to money, ease of install and end result nothing else makes sense.

Quick Reply: Brakes upgrade for 2016 JKU