Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You've got me thinking Jeff and I'm thinking bad thoughts now. You've got the rack idea going so you wouldn't have a specific need, but have you considered a chainsaw rack? Any reason I shouldn't try to make a holder for a saw on the side? I was in a tight trail and came across trees that were down. My saw (20" bar) takes up all of the room behind the rear seat where I'd like to keep my cooler so I got to thinning about mounting the saw outside on the hinges.

I'm running all three of your pieces
Old 02-20-2017, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You've got me thinking Jeff and I'm thinking bad thoughts now. You've got the rack idea going so you wouldn't have a specific need, but have you considered a chainsaw rack? Any reason I shouldn't try to make a holder for a saw on the side? I was in a tight trail and came across trees that were down. My saw (20" bar) takes up all of the room behind the rear seat where I'd like to keep my cooler so I got to thinning about mounting the saw outside on the hinges.

I'm running all three of your pieces
I can honestly say I've never thought about mounting a chain saw on either this new rack or on the HD hinges, but I'm sure both are possible and reasonable to do.

Since mounting chain saws is a subject I know nothing about, so I did a little searching. Seems like something like this Moose Chain Saw holder would be easy to adapt to mounting in either place: https://www.denniskirk.com/518469.sk...ad=46766398717

You could mount the chain saw on one side of the rack, and use the other side for a Rotopax container to carry fuel for it (and for the Jeep).
Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That mount is pretty sharp. I'm new to the mounting as well since usually I just use the saw and put it back in the garage. I was going to look at a vertical mount.
Whatever/ if something materializes here I'll be sure to put up pictures.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That mount is pretty sharp. I'm new to the mounting as well since usually I just use the saw and put it back in the garage. I was going to look at a vertical mount.
Whatever/ if something materializes here I'll be sure to put up pictures.
Maybe you could use the Rotopax mount and bolt that chain saw holder to it, here's a quick photo-edit...

Old 02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Hmmm, that looks like a much better idea than what I was thinking. It would be dual function for when I'm not carrying a saw.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

A while back I posted about an idea I had for door hinges to match the HD Tailgate Hinges I designed. I fabricated a prototype and showed the prototype to the company that makes the tailgate hinges. They liked the idea and signed up for it right away. Today I heard from them that preproduction versions are underway and should be ready by the time I meet with them again in less than two weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how they've translated my prototype into a production product. My home-made prototype:

Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

This is awesome news Jeff!!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So - resurrecting the original topic of the thread back to life I got a 2012 JK and had the dealer swap out the factory hinges already about a year and a half ago. The door opened waaaay far and broke the door stop.... After some discussions with the dealership, they decided that it is in their best interest to fix that for me... at no charge

So now I want to stop the problem before it happens again. I just upgraded my stock 225's to Rubi 255's on 17's. Those weigh a bit more then what was previously posted (just the rubber is posted at 46.7 lbs) and I figure they put more stress on the hinges. The tailgate seems to be still doing good - no damage, no flexing. So with that said - stock Rubi tires - figure that new hinges are enough?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It's my opinion that the factory hinges are a joke. They'll feel great for a short while then you'll feel it slow down and the gate gets heavy. I'd replace them sooner (as your budget allows) to minimize the potential for future issues.

I replaced mine long after abusing it with heavier tires and putting these new hinges on freed the gate up and has maintained that "new" feel since then.....even with going to 35's.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
A while back I posted about an idea I had for door hinges to match the HD Tailgate Hinges I designed. I fabricated a prototype and showed the prototype to the company that makes the tailgate hinges. They liked the idea and signed up for it right away. Today I heard from them that preproduction versions are underway and should be ready by the time I meet with them again in less than two weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how they've translated my prototype into a production product. My home-made prototype:

Today the company sent me this photo of preproduction hinges installed on one of their test Jeeps. They say they fit well and they like how they look (I like the look too). Should be in production soon.

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.