Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer

Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by alphawolff
All,

I am having a similar issue where i hit a bump and the tires and steering wheel wobbles out of control and feels like the passenger tire could fall off. The shaking starts small and then gets worse very quickly. I have to slow to 25mph in order to make them straighten out. Any ideas?

Replaced:
Old Man Emu trackbar 3 years ago
Synergy drag link flip kit 2 years ago
Rock Krawler pro tie rod 1 year ago
Agree that it sounds like you have a loose bolt somewhere, and it might be compounded with a bad joint. I would re-torque all steering components and then reference the link in post #3 which will walk you through diagnosing a bad joint in your steering system. Usually what will happen is you have a bad joint that triggers a little jiggle, and then a loose bolt that will really accentuate and compound the issue rapidly. Typically this loose bolt is TB related....and typically (but not always) the frame side bolt. If you've had a bad enough wobble and that particular bolt was loose, it could start wallowing out the hole on the factory bracket if that has not been reinforced.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower your air pressure to around 29ps(COLD) or 30psi

Quick Reply: Bump steer