Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BYOB? (Building your own bumper)

Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to build one in the summer, but ran out of time when I had to go back to school. I think your design looks good, similar to mine and I would say stick with a stubby. Also weld on a ring mounts, I think the stick tow hooks look hideous. Here is my design. I would have welded studs on the inside to mount it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-195383497.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	581191

Name:	image-1989635434.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	581190
Old 10-25-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I did a little redesign after thinking on this for a bit. At this point I am going to stick with a mid width design. I will not be using the factory hooks either. The updated design is on the divers side, shorter bumper with a little less blocky look. Thoughts??

Name:	image-110064991.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	581529
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Looks good! What's the clearance from the ground to the bottom of the bumper? Here are a few pics of my bumper I made in my garage. Made of all 3/16". Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but weld the recovery points on both the front and backside of the bumper and add a few gussets in there as well. Looks good man.

I currently run a PS aluminum fairlead with viking synthetic line but don't have a pic on my phone for some very odd reason....

2011JKUR with stuff.....
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Subscribed!!!

Originally Posted by Kendog
I did a little redesign after thinking on this for a bit. At this point I am going to stick with a mid width design. I will not be using the factory hooks either. The updated design is on the divers side, shorter bumper with a little less blocky look. Thoughts??

Attachment 581529
Personally I like your first design, but that's just me. I will be diving in on DIY bumpers, front and back, soon. Any updates to yours?

Quick Reply: BYOB? (Building your own bumper)