Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!

I have a 2012 Wrangler JKU Sahara 3.6L. I have been getting the check engine light and traction control light coming on. When it happens my Jeep goes into limp mode and will not go over 3000 RPM's. I hooked my diagnostic computer to it and read the codes. The codes are as followed: From the Engine (Power control module) - Cam position sensor 'A' circuit intermittent (P0349). From the TCM (Transmission control module) - Torque management feedback signal 'A' range/performance (P2638). From the ABS (Antilock brake Controller) - Torque request signal denied (C121C). I replaced the cam position sensor on the passenger side of the head (3 weeks ago). It seemed to help until this weekend. I was on a 900 mile round trip to Mobile and about 250 mile in, I went to pass a 18 wheeler on a hill and that's when the trouble started again. When it happens I can only shift gears in manual. I had this problem before about to months ago and that is when I replaced the sensor the first time. I stopped on my way back and picked up another new one, installed it, and it was fine for and 30 minuted and then the lights came back on. I can clear the codes and it be fine for a little while but keeps coming back. I've seen where multiple people have had this problem, but have not found a response on what was done to fix it. I am beginning to think it may be in the plug or the wiring harness. I haven't looked at the wiring yet. I will be going out to do that shortly.
The following users liked this post:
Kenneth R Warren (10-16-2020)
Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky5
I replaced the cam position sensor on the passenger side of the head (3 weeks ago).
P0349 is the code for cam position sensor, Bank 2, position 1. That's the head on the driver's side of the engine, outboard sensor circuit.
The following users liked this post:
Kenneth R Warren (10-16-2020)
Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
P0349 is the code for cam position sensor, Bank 2, position 1. That's the head on the driver's side of the engine, outboard sensor circuit.
I will try the one on the drivers side and see what that does.

Last edited by lucky5; 01-04-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky5
I have already replaced the sensor twice. I don't think it's the sensor, I believe is a wiring issue or the plug itself.
You mentioned the passenger side sensor was changed. Your code is for the sensor on the opposite side of the engine. Shouldn't you be looking at the sensor and its circuits on the driver's side of the engine?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You mentioned the passenger side sensor was changed. Your code is for the sensor on the opposite side of the engine. Shouldn't you be looking at the sensor and its circuits on the driver's side of the engine?
Yeah, I had read the post wrong and edited it to respond to what you had said. I just went out a checked the plug and wiring on the drivers side, it looked good. I called the parts store a few minutes ago, they said they would have to order the sensor and will have it tomorrow. So, I guess I will replace it tomorrow and see what that does. thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

Okay, so after driving around a week no CEL or traction control light. The only thing I did was unplug the driver's side pulled off the wire loom and tape checked the wiring, found nothing. Pushed on the wires going in to the plug socket, replaced with new loom and tape, and plugged, it back up. Has been good since, but this is exactly the same way the passenger side did before I went ahead and replaced it. The plug itself on the passenger side had oil in the connection prongs on the plug. Now if it does come back on, I will probably go ahead and replace the sensor, but for now I think I will just leave it be. Just updating the thread for other who may experience the same problems I have had.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe there is a problem with the engine and the sensor is doing its job telling you something is wrong? Just seems strange it would go into limp mode for simply a bad sensor.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the drivers cylinder head been replaced yet. I know that year had the cylinder head problem. Mine did I don't recall the fault codes but it would go into limp mode. Factory put lifetime warranty out on them because some were defective. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Can't remember which side, but one of the heads was replaced. Was done under factory warranty. I would have to get the paperwork back out and look, but I can't recall it saying which side was replaced. I want to say it was caught due to a misfire on cylinder 2.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by all4wheels
Has the drivers cylinder head been replaced yet. I know that year had the cylinder head problem. Mine did I don't recall the fault codes but it would go into limp mode. Factory put lifetime warranty out on them because some were defective. Just thought I would throw that out there.
They extended the warranty for the left side head, but not lifetime. It is for 150,000 miles. There may have also been a time limit of 10 years, but I can't remember. My Jeep is affected and I have the letter from Chrysler. Luckily my Jeep has been fantastic with no issues. Over 83,000 miles on it now.

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!