Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 that just had some similar behavior. After changing the cam position sensor and seeing the same issue repeat, I took it to my local shop and they noticed my spark plug wires were toast. Replaced wires and plugs, and so far no codes.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default circuit

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Maybe there is a problem with the engine and the sensor is doing its job telling you something is wrong? Just seems strange it would go into limp mode for simply a bad sensor.
The code reads circuit intermittent indicating an electrical issue not a mechanical.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I've noticed the problem only when the weather is warm or hot and the motor has run awhile.

I've replaced all the sensors and the issue still exists. My mechanic believes it may be an issue with the computer, which would be about $600 to replace. And that's no guarantee to fix it.

I'm going to have to try what was said about the plug and taping it up.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

I know this thread is old but did you ever find a fix. I’m having the exact same issue right now and trying to find a fix without throwing parts at it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yep!

cam phasers. Replaced them in January and havent had the problem ever since
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Camshaft

Anyone fixed this problem?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Possible solution.I had the same issue.

I have a 2007. I had the same issue. It only seemed to happen when the engine heated up. Was always fine when first starting out. Then check engine light, traction control light and limp mode. Tried some basic trouble shooting: changed the spark plugs,new cam sensor, new crank sensor, new battery, NOTHING worked. Finally found a rough looking EGR. Unplugged it and drove around for a day or so with no issues. Replace the EGR and have had no issues since. Since then I have put about 100 miles on the Jeep and so far so good. Hope this helps! I have also read that is could be an issue with the PCV. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is an EGR

Originally Posted by janellenicole88
I have a 2007. I had the same issue. It only seemed to happen when the engine heated up. Was always fine when first starting out. Then check engine light, traction control light and limp mode. Tried some basic trouble shooting: changed the spark plugs,new cam sensor, new crank sensor, new battery, NOTHING worked. Finally found a rough looking EGR. Unplugged it and drove around for a day or so with no issues. Replace the EGR and have had no issues since. Since then I have put about 100 miles on the Jeep and so far so good. Hope this helps! I have also read that is could be an issue with the PCV. Good luck!
What's an EGR please?
Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
What's an EGR please?
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It's an electrically controlled valve, on the 3.8L it's on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JBri
I know this thread is old but did you ever find a fix. I’m having the exact same issue right now and trying to find a fix without throwing parts at it.
I just went through this with my 2014. Found some loose oil galley bolts in the motor (there was a service bulletin put out about it by Chrysler). From what we were told when those are loose (or fallen out like one of mine did) it changes the oil flow which can throw codes for the cam position sensors. I just got it back a week ago and so far no lights or anything. Just an idea of something different to look into.

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!