Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft CEl causing jeep to go into limp mode

Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft CEl causing jeep to go into limp mode

Alright im back again with even more issues with my jeep, just randomly driving down the highway I got a check engine light ( nothing new ) then I got my traction control light which killed the power to the jeep aka limp mode kinda, I could still get up to highway speed but I was floored the whole time and the jeep wouldn't down gear, It also has a vibration through the steering wheel even while parked that I can feel. So I pulled over and got these check engine light:

P0394 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT - BANK 2 SENSOR 2

P0016 Crankshaft-Camshaft Timing Misalignment Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0390 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 2)

P0300[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

P2638 Torque Management Feedback Signal 'A' Range/Performance

from my side of the road diagnosis and searching it sounds like a broken wire somewhere? Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting some similar ones. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked out. Have already tried cleaning the cam sensor. Happens when the engine is under a bit of load. Trips up going uphill at highway speeds and sometimes throws me into limp mode.

13 jk auto, 35 tires and 4.56 gears
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160618-211259.png
Views:	1585
Size:	776.5 KB
ID:	650258  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
I'm getting some similar ones. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked out. Have already tried cleaning the cam sensor. Happens when the engine is under a bit of load. Trips up going uphill at highway speeds and sometimes throws me into limp mode.

I wish I could go to a dealer but I already know they will just say my jeep is modded and that's why its broken and wont cover it under warranty. Can you report back and let me know what yours comes out too? I have a feeling it will be a 1000$ bill at the dealer unless I do it myself

Last edited by Madmax1221; 06-20-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

I had similar issues...everytime i roll the gas on it would fall on its face and go to limp mode. I changed Throttle Body, cam sensors, cam solenoids and map sensor and air filter. Worried dealer wouldnt touch it and i was stumped, i finally noticed the under hood pad was very wrinkled at the airbox location. Sure enough the stock airbox was sucking the pad down and cutting off my air supply. So after a quick trim all my no power issues were gone. The before pic is after i pulled the pushpin and noticed the hole was slotted and pad was shifting just enough without pulling it out completely from pushpin and blocking my air box on a medium to hard acceleration. I couldnt even drive around slow traffic on 4 lane roads, as it would fall on its face into limp mode.
Not sure if thats your issue but an easy check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160620_180836.png
Views:	1282
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	650278

Name:	ForumRunner_20160620_180849.png
Views:	1537
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	650279
Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ToledoDave
I had similar issues...everytime i roll the gas on it would fall on its face and go to limp mode. I changed Throttle Body, cam sensors, cam solenoids and map sensor and air filter. Worried dealer wouldnt touch it and i was stumped, i finally noticed the under hood pad was very wrinkled at the airbox location. Sure enough the stock airbox was sucking the pad down and cutting off my air supply. So after a quick trim all my no power issues were gone. The before pic is after i pulled the pushpin and noticed the hole was slotted and pad was shifting just enough without pulling it out completely from pushpin and blocking my air box on a medium to hard acceleration. I couldnt even drive around slow traffic on 4 lane roads, as it would fall on its face into limp mode.

Attachment 650278

Attachment 650279
i have a snorkel so unfortunately mine isn't that easy
Old 06-20-2016, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Madmax1221

i have a snorkel so unfortunately mine isn't that easy
Gotcha gotcha...figured it wouldn't hurt to add. Good luck with chasin that bug :/
Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

It could still be air induction related. Try disconnecting the intake from the snorkel to eliminate the possibility of it being the intake.

Did the problem started soon after the snorkel was installed?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy
It could still be air induction related. Try disconnecting the intake from the snorkel to eliminate the possibility of it being the intake.

Did the problem started soon after the snorkel was installed?
not really no, i drove it around for over 1500km with it on and its never done this, one weekend on gravel roads and this is what it does.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToledoDave

Attachment 650278

Attachment 650279
I don't have the padding on my hood, but thanks for the tip on checking air flow. Might throw on a new filter to see if that helps any if the dealer can't figure it out. Do you remember what codes it threw?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

I don't have the padding on my hood, but thanks for the tip on checking air flow. Might throw on a new filter to see if that helps any if the dealer can't figure it out. Do you remember what codes it threw?
Heres a pic of my codes. I was getting the air restricted code...which i couldnt believe that was the primary issue and was thinking it was the byproduct code or aftermath of it going to limp mode on a good acceleration and getting a rich issue as it burped the unburnt fuel. I was wrong as i found out it was clearly an air issue. But the other codes were what threw me for a loop.

Name:	ForumRunner_20160621_072011.png
Views:	1914
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	650302

Quick Reply: Camshaft CEl causing jeep to go into limp mode