Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caster vs pinion angle

Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying my best not to take these comments as rude. But I'm an educated person quite capable of reading the word caster and reading the numbers in the columns. So unless there machine is off, it's 1*. When I got in the jeep I had white knuckles expecting to be scared by the choice I made. I was obviously very pleased it still drove well. If I noticed anything it's that the steering wheel is a bit lighter at parking lot speeds but that's it.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not questioning your ability to read but do you understand how caster affects your steering, stability, wheel self-centering, etc? The reason you have so many people reacting this way is that the numbers you are telling us are completely contradictory to everything that is known about how to properly align a JK. That's all. We are trying to help you avoid a potentially very scary driving situation.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Abeach636
I'm trying my best not to take these comments as rude. But I'm an educated person quite capable of reading the word caster and reading the numbers in the columns. So unless there machine is off, it's 1*. When I got in the jeep I had white knuckles expecting to be scared by the choice I made. I was obviously very pleased it still drove well. If I noticed anything it's that the steering wheel is a bit lighter at parking lot speeds but that's it.
I would put it on another alignment rack. If it was 1* the 1 would have been in a big red number. They would have or should have told you that would not be wise. I too am not trying to be rude as I am just a dumb hick from the sticks with a 3rd grade education but I know how caster works from a steering stand point as I used to race bikes and caster works pretty much like rake.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Like I already posted. I have taken the jeep up to 75mph with absolutely no difference in stability prior to alignment. I really don't know what else to say at this point.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Yea dunno here. You have aftermarket housing by chance ?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Former Vendor

We usually run with negative caster. In fact, we build reverse caster corrected housings. That way we can have pinion at 4* and caster at -4*. We find it provides a much more spirited driving experience.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

I contacted 4wheel parts and was told the printer would be fixed and I could have a printout on Thursday.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update on this? Was dying to know what the alignment printout said.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope someone that wants to learn about how to properly set caster and pinion angles doesn't read this thread for their own safety
Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Who's front shaft are you running??? I had same problem awhile back. Chased everything in that front end, parts, alignments... Had local shop spin balance front shaft still vibrated, sent it back to the well known mfr. and they tested it and sent it back and it still vibrated.... Someone reputable told me to dump my well known after market front shaft and put a Coast shaft in.... Problem solved. Won't run anything but a coast shaft from now on.

Quick Reply: Caster vs pinion angle