Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clanking noise

Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clanking noise

I have a 2k10 Dr with a TF leveling kit on 34's. Today I started hearing what sounds like metal banging against metal. It sounds like under or near the front drivers side. Its only when I driving slow. I'm thinking something on my suspension is loose and getting concerned.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Former Vendor

You should check everything under the rig for play.

I had an instance when I broke the lower rear shock mount on my rig and it gave me crazy death wobble and a loud banging noise when I hit bumps.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Did you just put on your leveling kit and it just started? What were you doing when it started? Next, I'd inspect all of your suspension and brake components. Take a torque wrench to trac bar, tie rods, drag links to make sure they're all to specs. Clanking doesn't strike me as rubber to flare, but Im not so sure I would run 34's on leveling kit without at least spacers on OEM wheels, if that's the case. Take a general look around...does anything look loose or out of place? Just some thoughts.

Last edited by DesolationMania; 12-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

I to had a front end driver side clank. Turned out to be my lower ball joint was shot. If check those for play and of course re-torque errything.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
Did you just put on your leveling kit and it just started? What were you doing when it started? Next, I'd inspect all of your suspension and brake components. Take a torque wrench to trac bar, tie rods, drag links to make sure they're all to specs. Clanking doesn't strike me as rubber to flare, but Im not so sure I would run 34's on leveling kit without at least spacers on OEM wheels, if that's the case. Take a general look around...does anything look loose or out of place? Just some thoughts.
I have rugged ridge wheels and the kit has been in there for a year or more. It started when I had gotten off the highway and was creeping through a parking lot.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor

OK so its happening at slow speeds. Over bumps? Turning left or right?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
OK so its happening at slow speeds. Over bumps? Turning left or right?
Mostly when driving straight and when I hit a small bump at best. Almost sound my my exhuast pipe hitting when I wheel like crazy. I'm think it's not the exhaust though.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Former Vendor

Have you climbed under to take a look yet?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

No the weather here is horrible and hasn't let me do that yet. I'm hoping its something minor. I drive it down the highway daily at 75-80. I don't want something to fail when I'm doing that!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor

Just get under there and check everything. Put a wrench everywhere and check your exhaust too. You should do this sooner than later to prevent a more serious issue.

Quick Reply: clanking noise