Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil fall out

Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coil fall out

My 2013 JKU coils came off the top cone making a terrible metal crash sound coming off the back side of bumps , Teraflex 3" w/shocks. Is there anybody out there with a similar issue, maybe over travel cables or straps would prevent this??
Old 01-08-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

yes limit straps will prevent this. generally unless you have too long of shocks this wont happen. Shocks however are not meant to limit your droop and it can damage them.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
yes limit straps will prevent this. generally unless you have too long of shocks this wont happen. Shocks however are not meant to limit your droop and it can damage them.
Ya the shocks came with the teraflex lift kit (9550). I run 35's and looking at new shocks 37's and now limit straps. thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

If those shocks came with that kit, it seems a bit odd that you would have seen enough flex to unseat the spring. Typically you run in to that situation when you replace with longer shocks in an effort to gain additional flex, and then end up getting a little too much at which time you start to see your spring rotate or unseat. Unfortunately I know all about this. LOL. It seems that typically shocks purchased with a kit often times become the limiting factor (which jdamt points out they shouldn't be), and will limit the flex enough to keep that coil seated. Do you have coil clips to hold the spring in place on the perch?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
If those shocks came with that kit, it seems a bit odd that you would have seen enough flex to unseat the spring. Typically you run in to that situation when you replace with longer shocks in an effort to gain additional flex, and then end up getting a little too much at which time you start to see your spring rotate or unseat. Unfortunately I know all about this. LOL. It seems that typically shocks purchased with a kit often times become the limiting factor (which jdamt points out they shouldn't be), and will limit the flex enough to keep that coil seated. Do you have coil clips to hold the spring in place on the perch?
I use these they work great. haven't gotten around to installing limit straps to protect my shocks yet though which is definitely a good idea

Zone Offroad Coil Spring Retainers J5002

Quick Reply: coil fall out