Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil spring location

Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil spring location

Going to be installing my Dynatrac axles but they were used for coil overs...have to cut off the bump stop pad and weld coil perches in place...How do i find out the exact location? I know the angle is different and full droop and at squat...
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Ideas???
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Connect the axles without the springs and cycle it. Droop it and stuff it. Determine your mounting points from there, tack weld the perches, install the perches, install the springs then cycle it again. If it's all good, complete the welds.

You can always look at a stock axle and break out the measuring tape, pen, and paper and use those measurements as a starting point (at least for the rear axle). Keep in mind that based on the planned amount of lift you'll have, you may have to rotate the axle(s). Since caster is probably built in to the front axle, I'm sure you can get info from Dynatrac directly regarding their spring perch mounting points for it as well as the rear. I'm no master mechanic but it doesn't seem like rocket science.

I would think at ride height, you don't want the springs to be bowed.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-27-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Cut of what you have too and set up the axle at ride height, this is where you should mount the lower perches. This way you get the angle right and they sit straight where the jeep is most of the time. No need to cycle the suspension. If using lower perches like from JKS that has a U bolt you can instill them loose and easily adjust them with the coils installed, just support the jeep at the ride height to keep it from moving.

Quick Reply: Coil spring location