Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil springs and

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil springs and

Rear Driver

rear passenger

^ ^ ^ ^

Can someone please explain to me what could possibly be wrong? I know we've been through this before, but the shop it was last seen in he said that the pinion angle was FINE .. the day before my jeep headed down here. He also said I needed new tie rod ball joints (when in fact it was my drag link).
There's been a few other times I have questioned his work? SO ... I come here to the trusted JK Forum again and again ...

HELP! Anyone and someone, what could be a possibility of what is wrong the coil springs and axle angle??????
Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

What problem are you experiencing? I'm guessing vibration?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

major .. kinda talked about it with a few members including WOL and PIAJ.

The rear u-joint on the driveshaft is shot, so its being replaced not sure if that has anythign to do with the vibrations though!

OPPS, forgot. Pictures can't do justice. I can barely hit 40 MPH now, without feeling like my whole drivetrain is going to fall to pieces.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah...not so sure about what problems you're having either. The coil springs look fine to me...they may be a bit bowed as you go up in height because of the large arc of rotation created by the control arms. you usually need to show a picture of the pinion angle with an angle finder on the flange as it's not enough to just show a picture taken at an upward angle to your driveshaft. Even if you showed a straight side picture it is very difficult to distinguish one degree of angle to another.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok...you posted when I was writing up my reply...here's a thought - You may want to get your drive shaft balanced again. It looks like there's quite a bit of rock rash on the portion in the picture that you can see that may be causing your vibrations.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
The rear u-joint on the driveshaft is shot, so its being replaced not sure if that has anythign to do with the vibrations though!
A bad u-joint could definitely cause some vibration. When you grab the driveshaft, can you move it vertically or horizontally on the joint? It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but it looks as though there is some play.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
A bad u-joint could definitely cause some vibration. When you grab the driveshaft, can you move it vertically or horizontally on the joint? It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but it looks as though there is some play.
As for getting the driveshaft balanced, going to happen when I take it in. Not sure of what shop yet. I don't know wether to trust the dealership here or take it to a 4x4 shop in jacksonville.

Originally Posted by ColinW
Yeah...not so sure about what problems you're having either. The coil springs look fine to me...they may be a bit bowed as you go up in height because of the large arc of rotation created by the control arms. you usually need to show a picture of the pinion angle with an angle finder on the flange as it's not enough to just show a picture taken at an upward angle to your driveshaft. Even if you showed a straight side picture it is very difficult to distinguish one degree of angle to another.
I agree .. i tried getting best a picture as I could ... before though if I am remembering correctly ... my coils were striaght vertical ... but never know. I guess the 'angle' problems will have to wait for now.

Yes exactly what it is doing. Found this out about two weeks ago, just got it ordered on friday. So waiting for the U/J to come to me!

Last edited by rubiconjack; 10-16-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not that it'll make a difference but your 1st 2 pics are the same..Passenger side only

Maybe a better time line of events with your exact problems and these folks can point you in the right direction.

chuck
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
As for getting the driveshaft balanced, going to happen when I take it in. Not sure of what shop yet. I don't know wether to trust the dealership here or take it to a 4x4 shop in jacksonville.
For an aftermarket part, I'd be really hesitant to take it to a dealer unless the dealer is really cool like Rock Lizard.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
Originally Posted by chucktuna
Not that it'll make a difference but your 1st 2 pics are the same..Passenger side only

Maybe a better time line of events with your exact problems and these folks can point you in the right direction.

chuck

Didn't realize that til' you said something. Driver side ..

.......... timeline.

EVERYTHING was running fine and no vibrations or anything, just the clunky steering in the front up until September 5th.

September 6th, I was heading up to a Jeep Meet n' Greet. Well I had something squeking from the center of the undercarriage. That went on for about 12 miles on a washboard gravel road to the Trails and campsites.
I couldn't get the lockers to engage that night until it was too late to wheel, so I just hung out at camp, and rode along with others.

September 7th,
Decided to take the jeep out. Headed out ot meet the group .. 11 miles out and then 11 miles back in, still squaking. Get back to the ORV trails. Air down, and head off onto the trail.
Well, after wheeling at Evans Creek in Washington State if your from there ... I went on a very tight trail. There were a few spots, I bottomed out the rear and a couple of really tall drops where it hurt just listening.

3 hours later after a hardcore recovery of another rubicon (he burnt his clutch up), we were headed home. My jeep I felt it driving a little funny, didn't pay any attention to it. Couldn't, cause it wasn't doing much, except a very bumpy/bouncy ride home .... come to the tires weren't equal on PSI. One of them was about 15 in a difference.

Get home ... go for a drive ... notice its vibrating ... drive a few more times over the course of a week. Its a lot worse, had the shop look at it. HE said nothing is wrong with it, but he can't fix it, cause it leaves the next day, so of course he said that ..

well now here i am a month later .... and can barely drive the dang thing. Coil Springs were vertical before .. not now ...

SORRY, if this timeline ain't much help. I am at a loss too. I will be taking it to a 4x4 shop though, especially since they wouldn't have the slightest idea of what they're doing at a dealership since its alll aftermarket! Except my tie rod.

Quick Reply: coil springs and