Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intakes

Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KVJK08
Very clean look! I want something with a nice aggressive grunt without an exhaust. What brand is that & how much?
I bought it on ebay 260.00 out the door including shipping its a Volant I don't have the part number sorry.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Someone show the ACTUAL dyno results of a CAI on a JK (normally aspirated) and I will order one today.
There's several guys who have done dyno's, but I always thought this one did the most thorough job. He ran a before and after dyno with the Banks Stinger system last year....first in stock form, then with the CAI only, then with exhaust only, and finally with CAI and exhaust.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ba.../topics/326377
Old 10-19-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bfschor
There's several guys who have done dyno's, but I always thought this one did the most thorough job. He ran a before and after dyno with the Banks Stinger system last year....first in stock form, then with the CAI only, then with exhaust only, and finally with CAI and exhaust. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ba.../topics/326377

That's the same exact setup I have. That's quite a substantial increase for exhaust and cai alone. Boo yah! Haha
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bfschor
There's several guys who have done dyno's, but I always thought this one did the most thorough job. He ran a before and after dyno with the Banks Stinger system last year....first in stock form, then with the CAI only, then with exhaust only, and finally with CAI and exhaust.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ba.../topics/326377
I actually bought the Banks CAI after reading his write up. I bought the banks programer but I have returned it because I wasn't happy with it. I will be purchasing the monster exhaust once I replenish the Jeep fund again. Overall I'm happy with the intake but at Highway speeds it gets difficult to listen to on long trips. It is a lot louder than stock. I do feel it made it slightly more responsive and I feel like I'm pushing the 35's with s little more ease on the highway with the stock 3.73 gearing. As for my problems with the programer it wouldn't set the tire pressure correctly and I somehow now have daytime running lights even though I never turned them on and reset everything to stock before returning it. The 87 tune did seem to help with fuel economy and the 87 performance tune seemed to add yet more power. I did not like the banks custom throttle response, it became very touchy or jumpy and made just pulling away from a stop light feel like I was poping my clutch trying to race everyone.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a AFE .... It's all good if you want to hear it , honestly I regret it & wish I woulda used the $ for a more visual & useful mod ... To do over id get some truck lites led headlights , more of a impactful mod .. Can use them nightly ! It's cosmetic & helpful ! My two cents on a better way for me to spend your money
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackDANJK22
I have a AFE .... It's all good if you want to hear it , honestly I regret it & wish I woulda used the $ for a more visual & useful mod ... To do over id get some truck lites led headlights , more of a impactful mod .. Can use them nightly ! It's cosmetic & helpful ! My two cents on a better way for me to spend your money
Let's hear it!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Has anyone ever compared the ambient and intake temperatures with a CAI? I ask because I have compared the temperatures with the AEV snorkel on my rig, and there is about a 9-11° higher temp at the intake manifold. These temps are easy to read if you have an Android device, Torque Pro, and an OBD-BT adapter. Let's find out how "cold" these CAIs really are! Anyone?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Has anyone ever compared the ambient and intake temperatures with a CAI? I ask because I have compared the temperatures with the AEV snorkel on my rig, and there is about a 9-11° higher temp at the inlet. These temps are easy to read if you have an Android device, Torque Pro, and an OBD-BT adapter. Let's find out how "cold" these CAIs really are! Anyone?
Most of it is based on the volume of air the take in compared to a choked snorkel or a stock air box.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Has anyone ever compared the ambient and intake temperatures with a CAI? I ask because I have compared the temperatures with the AEV snorkel on my rig, and there is about a 9-11° higher temp at the intake manifold. These temps are easy to read if you have an Android device, Torque Pro, and an OBD-BT adapter. Let's find out how "cold" these CAIs really are! Anyone?
never have. But nearly all the systems pull air from under the hood. Unless it's piped to the outside air or something cut into the hood to draw the outside air in, it's not really a CAI. Still yet, to really see net gains, tuner, CAI, exhaust, injectors, etc., just to start seeing anything worth while. I've modified a few FI cars. They are just like any other motor. Sure, you can get "more air" at entry but unless the timing in the motor changes, the motor still limits the intake into the chamber. Same for exhaust. The timing has to be right and then the exhaust that might have been put on for more flow would actually be doing what it was designed for. Most of these guys aren't taking it to that level.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

So if you combine a high-flow intake and exhaust with a programmer (Superchips or Diablo), will there be difference you can feel? Or will pretty much all the power increase come from the programmer alone?

I've done a Superchips with noticeable results, but have stayed away from an intake and exhaust. I'm not sure if a high-flow intake/exhaust combo would help.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes