Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerns regarding lifting a lease

Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Concerns regarding lifting a lease

Currently I am leasing my '13 JKU and still have another 2+ years left but always had the intentions of lifting & adding bigger tires so that I can take advantage of moderate offroading, and also because it just overall improves the look of the vehicle. I have an AEV 3.5" lift sitting in my room which I planned to install once the weather warms up a bit, however lately I've had this idea that it might be wiser to downgrade to a 2.5" lift instead so that I am not messing with the geometry of the suspension too much and it might be somewhat easier to revert back to stock when it comes time to turn in the lease. I am unsure if I am just over thinking this or if I have the right idea in mind which is why I am asking for feedback on my situation.

Last edited by JK_Zach; 03-05-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought on this issue.... Have the dealer install the lift so you are off the hook if something goes wrong. Keep all factory parts and reinstall them before turning in the Jeep.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Install the lift and buy-out your lease at the end
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Install the lift and buy-out your lease at the end
That was originally my plan but I eventually decided that I want a 6-speed Rubicon after this one.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

I ran a 4" on my last jeep and it was a lease. I wheeled it quite a bit and took care of it on my dime. Dont expect much to be covneed under warranty unless you keep it on the street. I had intentions on buying it out until I came across a deal on a two year newer used Rubicon at a 'yota dealership. They simply bought the lease out and we went from there.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd leave it stock if your planning on turning it in...to uninstall a lift after 2 NY winters (road salt) and deal with all those rusted bolts sounds like a major pain in the ass to me
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't lift a leased JK. I'd trade it in for a new or used JK. With how well JKs hold value it should be a wash.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

If you are planning to turn it back in for a Rubi, why not wait and put the lift on the Rubi. And then keep the Rubi.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Go for it. Here is why:

1. Wranglers hold their value. That means the residual will be lower than blue book at the end of the lease (or darn close).

2. Don't "return" your leased vehicle. "Trade" it in. Dealers can buy leased vehicles. You should have no trouble getting the buyout price on the Jeep. I've done this exact thing with every lease I've ever had (didn't lease my Jeep though, but that is for other reasons). I always went over on miles and just traded it in. No penalty.

The bigger issue you have is that a lease company will charge you for anything. You are bound to get some wear and tear. No sense in getting charged for that.

Build it up!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Default get rid of it

I've never used a lease, but you could see if this works

Swapalease.com | Get Out of A Car Lease or Take Over A Car Lease

I wouldn't touch (modify) a leased anything... you will most likely violate the lease even by asking.

Wait it out or buy it, then modify it.

Quick Reply: Concerns regarding lifting a lease