Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Crawler Conceptz Body Mounted Tire Carrier (Pic heavy post)

Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Punkyn13
Im not a big Teraflex fan, and their carrier had had some breakage issues that I wasnt sure had been fully addressed yet. But the main reason for choosing this setup was that I didnt want the weight of a carrier/ bumper combo. My second choice was the ACE setup since I wanted the tire carrier to open with the rear door in one motion. But the ACE weighs about 190# without the 110# of tire and wheel im running. So my plan is to use an aluminum bumper at some point which will put my tire, carrier, and bumper well under 190# total. Also I bought this when CC had a sale for $499 shipped. So it was much less expensive than most other options including the TF carrier. It is a really solid piece of gear. Just has some fitment issues that CC really needs to address ASAP. I havent seen CC add any options to carry hi Lift or cans/rotos yet, but im sure at some point they will. All the issues I had with install can totally be avoided if somebody were to know about them and address them before painting/powdercoating. But at the time I did this CC didnt even have a set of install instructions available to provide me, and there was very little actual user info online.
What kind of issues did you have, mine will arrive in a few weeks.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not a big Teraflex fan, and their carrier had had some breakage issues that I wasnt sure had been fully addressed yet. But the main reason for choosing this setup was that I didnt want the weight of a carrier/ bumper combo. My second choice was the ACE setup since I wanted the tire carrier to open with the rear door in one motion. But the ACE weighs about 190# without the 110# of tire and wheel im running. So my plan is to use an aluminum bumper at some point which will put my tire, carrier, and bumper well under 190# total. Also I bought this when CC had a sale for $499 shipped. So it was much less expensive than most other options including the TF carrier.

It is a really solid piece of gear. Just has some fitment issues that CC really needs to address ASAP. I havent seen CC add any options to carry hi Lift or cans/rotos yet, but im sure at some point they will. All the issues I had with install can totally be avoided if somebody were to know about them and address them before painting/powdercoating. But at the time I did this CC didnt even have a set of install instructions available to provide me, and there was very little actual user info online.
Those issues were address quite some time ago.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

awesome write up. debating if i should try it out running my 40....
Old 09-09-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ziloh22
awesome write up. debating if i should try it out running my 40....
I think it is officially only rated up to a 38" tire. But, Im pretty sure I read someplace when I was trying to research it that someone had called and spoken with the guys at CC and they told them it would handle a 40". It is a very robust carrier overall, but everything is limited by its weakest link. Im thinking the weak link here is the 2 portions of the rack that actually hold the tire to the carrier. I would definitely prefer that they were made of 1/4" steel, and add 2 more bolts to hold it to the carrier arm along with additional hardware to hold the 2 pieces together, if I were going to hang a huge tire from them. The body mounts and carrier swing arm seem plenty robust to handle it without a problem. But the plate that bolts to that carrier arm and the plate that has the lugs to actually hold the tire are I believe 3/16" steel. Now I have had my 15 yr old daughter, for whatever reason 15 yr olds do things like this, sit on top of our spare with the tailgate closed and the movement in the carrier was very minimal if any.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Mine rattles. It's been a nightmare since I ordered it. I've taken it apart and readjusted everything. Still rattles. It's driving me INSANE. What's weird is its only once I bolt the tire on. Just the carrier bolted to the gate doesn't rattle going down the road. Mount the tire and its horrible. I think mine is the only one on the planet that rattles.

I'm Calling CC Monday to see if they can help walk me thru a possible fix. An instruction sheet would have been nice as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BFYTW
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Mine rattles. It's been a nightmare since I ordered it. I've taken it apart and readjusted everything. Still rattles. It's driving me INSANE. What's weird is its only once I bolt the tire on. Just the carrier bolted to the gate doesn't rattle going down the road. Mount the tire and its horrible. I think mine is the only one on the planet that rattles.

I'm Calling CC Monday to see if they can help walk me thru a possible fix. An instruction sheet would have been nice as well.

Did you ever get your rattle figured out? Ours is still very solid. I tried loosening up the carrier bolts a little since the hinges were so tight, but then we definitely had too much movement in the carrier and it rattled quite a bit down the road. So they had to be tightened up again, which made the tailgate opening and closing pretty stiff again. I saw a video install on you tube that showed the guy install and have easy one handed operation of his tailgate. I'm not sure if CC had redesigned the body bracket to better fit the factory jeep hinge arms, or if he just hadn't tightened everything down as tight as I had to in order to make sure there was no rattle while driving. I emailed CC, but never heard back, and got busy and never followed up by phone. I will prob contact CC soon about that body bracket, since the weather is getting better and I can finally go back and take this thing apart to reinsert new brass bushings in my factory hinge arm holes to replace the ones I had to remove to get them into the body mounting bracket. Pain in the A$$, but I think it has to be done. I can tell that I have a little wiggle from the loose fit of the CC bolt through my factory hinge arms without the inserts. It is most noticeable when the tailgate is in the open position. I can grab the tailgate and move it a little at the hinge mounting bolt. Even closed if I push on just the tailgate it moves just slightly at the bolt as well. But the carrier arm itself doesn't budge at all, even if I pull or push on it with my full weight.

Still overall happy with it after using it this long. I still haven't seen another jeep in DFW with one. Not sure if that is good or bad!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had some of the same issues with the cam nut getting surface rust. I will eventually disassemble and paint.
As for the door being stiff or hard to move. I called Shad and he said I had the hinge bolts too tight. I backed off each
a little bit and sure enough, swings great.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a rattle in mine. I tightened up the heim joints that attach it to the door and solved the problem.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you ever get your rattle figured out? Ours is still very solid. I tried loosening up the carrier bolts a little since the hinges were so tight, but then we definitely had too much movement in the carrier and it rattled quite a bit down the road. So they had to be tightened up again, which made the tailgate opening and closing pretty stiff again. I saw a video install on you tube that showed the guy install and have easy one handed operation of his tailgate. I'm not sure if CC had redesigned the body bracket to better fit the factory jeep hinge arms, or if he just hadn't tightened everything down as tight as I had to in order to make sure there was no rattle while driving. I emailed CC, but never heard back, and got busy and never followed up by phone. I will prob contact CC soon about that body bracket, since the weather is getting better and I can finally go back and take this thing apart to reinsert new brass bushings in my factory hinge arm holes to replace the ones I had to remove to get them into the body mounting bracket. Pain in the A$$, but I think it has to be done. I can tell that I have a little wiggle from the loose fit of the CC bolt through my factory hinge arms without the inserts. It is most noticeable when the tailgate is in the open position. I can grab the tailgate and move it a little at the hinge mounting bolt. Even closed if I push on just the tailgate it moves just slightly at the bolt as well. But the carrier arm itself doesn't budge at all, even if I pull or push on it with my full weight.

Still overall happy with it after using it this long. I still haven't seen another jeep in DFW with one. Not sure if that is good or bad!
For the brass bushings, I was able to take a grinder and take enough off each side to get it to fit. PITA, but I was able to keep the bushings in. This way I could back off on the bolts a little and have no rattles.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

When installed according to the instructions, mine rattled, too. I had to adjust the bushing pre-load to 1.75 inches, rather than the single inch called for in the instructions. For 99.9 percent of the time, mine is absolutely solid and rattle-free now. When I hit a major pothole or bad spot in the road, I'll get a 'thunk' out of the back end, but as long as I don't see any signs of wear or stress on the bushing, I guess it's OK. (I could tighten the carrier to the door even more, but I'm not sure how much stretching you really want that nylon to be doing!)

Quick Reply: Crawler Conceptz Body Mounted Tire Carrier (Pic heavy post)