Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At a crossroads

Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a crossroads

As I am in the process of a build that's going to take me to moab in April I am at a crossroads. With my budget I can either get a good quality rear bumper with a tire carrier, which with the future upgrades to 35s will take some stress off the tailgate. Or get a bumper such as the e-auto grilles and a front winch to go on the bfh front bumper I have ordered. Do I need a winch for 99% of what I do. Probably not. But that one time I might need it. Is it worth it? Chances are with the group I wheel with their will always be someone with one. But than again do I want to be that guy always asking for a tug?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% get the winch. Sometimes a buddy can't get close enough to help. I've also seen them keep people from rolling. It could save your life one day.

Just wait on the rear bumper until you save up some money. You'll be fine running a stock rear in Moab.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a trails list you plan on doing? The winch will more than likely not get used to pull yourself over stuff. Plus it's usually easier to hook up a strap to a buddy than it is to pull cable. You're going to be hard pressed to find something to use as an anchor aside from another jeep out there. But if something does go south it could end up being much more important to have. 1 winch in the group is really not a good plan. Everyone should really have one and know how to use it.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...or wait until next year and do it all right.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n3tfury
...or wait until next year and do it all right.
thats some great advice right there.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Don't buy stuff twice. Get the Wells Moab guidebook and review its trails. You can have a ton of fun out there in a stock JK--no winch at all. Besides, as stated before, it's always quicker and safer to have a buddy tug you out, if feasible. Mud is a non-issue for most Moab runs. If it's wet weather, they want you to stay off the trails (to avoid tearing them up).

Quick Reply: At a crossroads