Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 44 Swap

Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 44 Swap

Hey guys, I have a quick question and was wondering if anyone has done something similar.

So back in high school I drove a 2000 ram 1500 4x4. I'm wanting to swap out the front 30 in my Jk and the old ram is rusted and about to be scrapped. Could I use this 44 and swap it in? It'd be rebuilt and geared but what else would I need to do this or is this a bad idea? Any opinions would be appreciated!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Never done it, but a few thoughts from reading other threads: That axle is low pinion instead of high like the stock jk front? Could be a problem. Make sure it can use a ratio that matches the rear. Find out the width difference and the lug pattern, probably need a set of wheel adapters. Fabricate rings to get the electronics working again? Cut all the brackets off, making sure that there is enough room for the jk brackets that you will be making?

You are probably better off reading a few junkyard threads and going with one of the d60's that people have already worked all that stuff out for.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Never done it, but a few thoughts from reading other threads: That axle is low pinion instead of high like the stock jk front? Could be a problem. Make sure it can use a ratio that matches the rear. Find out the width difference and the lug pattern, probably need a set of wheel adapters. Fabricate rings to get the electronics working again? Cut all the brackets off, making sure that there is enough room for the jk brackets that you will be making? You are probably better off reading a few junkyard threads and going with one of the d60's that people have already worked all that stuff out for.
I mean it sounds like an entertaining project and could be very useful to a lot of people if there's a solid way as these are easy to come by.

A friend has a junk 2500 that has front and rear D60s and I thought about it but I'm not sure I'm ready to make a jump to 60s yet as that's going to add a sh*t ton to the build list.

I may end up just trying this 44 as a project since I already have it and go ahead and figure it all out before rebuilding it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Unfortunately, people are not doing junkyard d44 swaps when they can do d60 swaps for about the same costs and amount of labor. Just doesn't make sense. Before you get too far along, check into the electronics (assuming you want all of your jeeps gauges and stuff to work?) But yeah, if I had the fab and setup skills I'd be all over a junkyard swap. I don't, so I bought.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Should be entertaining

Last edited by Thadv95; 02-11-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out Polyperformance for their bracket kits.

Also I would highly recommend swapping out the rear axle as well to keep the same bolt pattern for front and rear wheels. I see no reason why you cannot. Most people going to 60's is for one of two reasons. First their buddies have them or second their wheeling demands the heavier duty axles.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canvas
Check out Polyperformance for their bracket kits. Also I would highly recommend swapping out the rear axle as well to keep the same bolt pattern for front and rear wheels. I see no reason why you cannot. Most people going to 60's is for one of two reasons. First their buddies have them or second their wheeling demands the heavier duty axles.
Thanks man.
My wheeling isn't going to demand 60s at all and living in Carolina and Indiana it probably won't. I doubt I'll ever run anything over 37s and if I ever do it won't be on this rig or for many many years to come. I just don't see the need for 60s IMHO.

Bolt pattern on it is 5x5.5 so I may just get adapters. The rear end in the truck is a D60 that needs rebuilt so we'll see how the build looks for me first.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the RAM has a front 3piece axle set with vacuum disengage (my 1998 did) .. Might want to check that out first. That's not a system I would want in my Jeep.
Bolt pattern and axle width. You would want the wheel adapters on the rear to make it the same as the from. The Ram axle is wider, adding adapter plates to that again will make the front much wider then the rear. Putting them on the rear will balance it out a bit better.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So it does have a 3 piece axle. Probably gonna pass on this one, but from what I've read early Rams and ram chargers are great for this.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thadv95
So it does have a 3 piece axle. Probably gonna pass on this one, but from what I've read early Rams and ram chargers are great for this.

If you look under the front you will see the vacuum pot and lines on the diff tube. I believe there is a bypass system for the 3pce axle to permanently lock the 2 pce where the collar is.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 02-11-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Swap