Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana Spicer Ultimate 44 - What am I missing?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just bought this exact one. They told him that it would come with the Eaton 4 pinion. There was no extra charge for the Eaton.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WineCountryWheeler
My buddy just bought this exact one. They told him that it would come with the Eaton 4 pinion. There was no extra charge for the Eaton.
Where did he order it from and what did he pay?
Old 12-22-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That only explains tube strength in a vacuum. Spicer 44 still has the same weak cast and tubes fail through a combination of forces at any given time. I've seen plenty of sleeved and trussed JK axle that break. Point is, you still need to truss and gusset and most people have to hire that out and you end up with an axle the same price as something aftermarket and it still has some undesirable traits.

You need a lot more data before you comment on lockers. The only qualitative benefit is some people don't want to run a compressor. It is a substantially weaker unit that is also prone to malfunctioning. It is unreasonably priced and does not provide for increased spline axles. It is also incredibly slow to engage and disengage and for the weekend warrior on to hardcore wheelers, that is annoying as well as a safety issue. Most of us don't use a locker until we need it and having to back up or wait 20 seconds is ridiculous.

I'd like to think I know a little bit about axles and lockers...
Good to know. I have been on the fence about which way to go and wasn't happy about needing to install a compressor. No one I have spoken too has had any experience on E lockers. Thx.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean 69
Good to know. I have been on the fence about which way to go and wasn't happy about needing to install a compressor. No one I have spoken too has had any experience on E lockers. Thx.
Sorry, just to clarify, I am speaking specifically about the OEM E-locker. The new D60 Eaton E-locker is faster than the ARB and easily as strong.

If you get an afermarket housing, you can get a different e-locker that is going to be a lot better.

The JK front Rubicon housing is metric, so you don't have many options. Some of the aftermarket housings come in two version and in the SAE, you can use an Eaton e-locker, which is a fine locker.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I prefer the OX locker. You can get it in 30 or 35 spline for the Rubi housing. You can also get the Auburn e locker in metric.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kyle521
Where did he order it from and what did he pay?
The eBay link in the OP. $2999 and they also threw in 5% off, so $2850 shipped. 4WD is the company I believe.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Think about it this way. The tube strength increase is nominal and you will still need to truss and gusset. For $2999, you are essentially paying $1000 for chromo shafts. Just buy a stock Rubi axle for $2k and save the money.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Think about it this way. The tube strength increase is nominal and you will still need to truss and gusset. For $2999, you are essentially paying $1000 for chromo shafts. Just buy a stock Rubi axle for $2k and save the money.
It doesn't NEED to be trussed. If it strong enough for the Military it's strong enough for 90% + of the wheelers out there.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
It doesn't NEED to be trussed. If it strong enough for the Military it's strong enough for 90% + of the wheelers out there.
Is it actually used in the military?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

The difference is in the gears. If someone needs a ratio other than 4.10 you can get gears already installed. Compared to a rubi axle, cheapest I have found is 2130 plus tax. Then you have to pay for gears and install kits, and installation. Not really saving much money buy getting a rubi axle. So say $250 for parts, $200-300 for labor. Your around 2700-2800.

From what i heard above, you can possibly get another 5% off. It pretty much the same price, but like you said, it comes with chromo shafts

Quick Reply: Dana Spicer Ultimate 44 - What am I missing?