Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dana super 60

Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dana super 60

Is anyone able to tell me the difference between a dana casting number 248 and a 256. Looking at building a front dana 60 there is an 3 part article from four wheeler " jeep wrangler Dana 60 junkyard swap, its pretty good but at times talks about F550 and then later is talking F350 1999 to 2004 saying they had 248 in the front, so far I am not finding 248 in the front of these F250/350's. it is more dana 50 and casting number 229's. They also mention a width of 69 inches for the 248 ( saying thats only 4 or 5 inches more then the stock width JK front end at 65") Measured mounting surface on hub to mounting surface on hub. I have found a super 60 in a F550 , the guy says it measures 72" is this perhaps the difference between the 248 and the 256 , 3 more inches of width. I checked some ford forum stuff, and it was not to definitive, mostly contradictive.

Anyone followed that bone yard dana 60 build article and built that front end with their recipe?

Anyones opinion of 72" of width on a jk front end, could 6 or 7 " back space wheels be used to get the rubber back under the rig ?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just starting a build of axles out of a 2010 F350 (D60 front, 10.5 rear).

First off, there is a change in 2005, so you have 1999 to 2004 and then 2005-2010.

The pre 2005 D60s are 69". The 2005+ are 72". The 2005+ Super 60 is 84", but a lot of that is the 10 lug adapters that can be removed and then it is around 74".

Honestly, it is my opinion that the 2005+ is the way to go. Axle tubes are 3.75" OD and 1/2" wall. The unit bearings, ball joints, and knuckles are beef. 35 spline inner AND out shafts. JK brake lines hook right up to the big brakes. They have 55 tooth tone rings, so you can get the ABS sensors to work without issue. Basically, you pick it up, clean it up, gear and lock it, cut all the brackets off, weld new ones on, and off you go.

With a 2004 and earlier, your best bet is to buy new 35 spline ends from Currie or someone like that. Those unit bearings are weaker. You'll have more money into a pre-2004 than a 2005+. At least that is how the math worked for me. Although. it made more sense since I was getting the matching 10.5 rear.

If you need more info, there's a ton on Pirate.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

fords brake calipers from what i seen need more volume. I have a 97 f350 and i just ordered my upgraded master cylinder. I know ive heard the 55 tooth sensors work, but have never seen how? Did they just use a procal in some way? Ive also heard it may not work. I do know the jk rings are 52 tooth.

my ford front had a metal tag on the dif cover i could un bolt and run the numbers online to see exactly what it was.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this is the case with the junkyard axles, but when it comes to using wheels with more backspacing, yes you can use wheels with up to 5 3/4" of backspacing on a Dynatrac Dana 60 axle. Dynatrac may or may not tell you how much backspacing you can use though, depending on who you talk to. I initially called and talked to Jim (the owner), and he went out in his shop and measured from a Jeep they had with a Dana 60 axle, and he told me I could use wheels with up to 5 3/4" of backspacing. When I called back later to order the axles I talked to Steve (a salesman) and he told me there was absolutely no way I could use wheels with more than 4 1/2" of backspacing. He was "absolutely certain" of that. When the axles showed up, were installed, and my wheels with 4 1/2" of backspacing were installed, it was readily apparent that Jim was right, and Steve was wrong. I could have used wheels with 5 3/4" of backspacing, and I could have kept my Jeep 2 1/2" narrower, which would have sure helped when it comes to passing safety inspection and tire coverage laws.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
fords brake calipers from what i seen need more volume. I have a 97 f350 and i just ordered my upgraded master cylinder. I know ive heard the 55 tooth sensors work, but have never seen how? Did they just use a procal in some way? Ive also heard it may not work. I do know the jk rings are 52 tooth. my ford front had a metal tag on the dif cover i could un bolt and run the numbers online to see exactly what it was.
The JK reads the 55 tooth. The speedo ends up off just a little and the Procal can fix it by plugging in a different tire size. Some people have found that they can splice the ABS wires right to the ford sensor. Others had an issue, but found a solution. The sensor off the 2008 dodge 2500 is plug and play and works perfect (something about electrical resistance).

In my case, I'm using a sterling as well. The tone rings on the 2011 and newer are 55 tooth as well and will fit on the 2005+ hubs. Then, the computer is happy.

I'm going to see how the stock master cylinder works. Worst case, I'll get the euro version for more flow.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The JK reads the 55 tooth. The speedo ends up off just a little and the Procal can fix it by plugging in a different tire size. Some people have found that they can splice the ABS wires right to the ford sensor. Others had an issue, but found a solution. The sensor off the 2008 dodge 2500 is plug and play and works perfect (something about electrical resistance).

In my case, I'm using a sterling as well. The tone rings on the 2011 and newer are 55 tooth as well and will fit on the 2005+ hubs. Then, the computer is happy.

I'm going to see how the stock master cylinder works. Worst case, I'll get the euro version for more flow.
not sure how your will be but mine was a tad soft for me, hoping this cylinder will help out. i think dr. dirty had to aswell but i dont recall the front axle he has. I think abendx also replaced his, but am not for sure by any means.

i appreciate the info on the sensors, i figured the procal would fix it.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly, it is my opinion that the 2005+ is the way to go. Axle tubes are 3.75" OD and 1/2" wall. The unit bearings, ball joints, and knuckles are beef. 35 spline inner AND out shafts. JK brake lines hook right up to the big brakes. They have 55 tooth tone rings, so you can get the ABS sensors to work without issue. Basically, you pick it up, clean it up, gear and lock it, cut all the brackets off, weld new ones on, and off you go.
I've looked into these 05+ F250/F350 axles to swap under my Jeep if I decide to go any bigger. Definitely a better option than the 99-04 SD axles. The biggest problem is the low steering that'll goof up the drag link - track bar geometry. Reid Racing has a highsteer knuckle for these that lets you bolt an arm on top so you can set the drag link however high or low you want it. Then you can drill out the cast steering arms for heims or ream them from the top down to flip the tie rod and now the steering isn't down in the rocks.

edit: I wouldn't bother with the 10-lug "Super 60" version of this axle. The additional width and other differences don't seem to provide any benefits when using them under a JK.

Last edited by RubiconGeoff; 08-21-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
I've looked into these 05+ F250/F350 axles to swap under my Jeep if I decide to go any bigger. Definitely a better option than the 99-04 SD axles. The biggest problem is the low steering that'll goof up the drag link - track bar geometry. Reid Racing has a highsteer knuckle for these that lets you bolt an arm on top so you can set the drag link however high or low you want it. Then you can drill out the cast steering arms for heims or ream them from the top down to flip the tie rod and now the steering isn't down in the rocks.

edit: I wouldn't bother with the 10-lug "Super 60" version of this axle. The additional width and other differences don't seem to provide any benefits when using them under a JK.
That would be the least of my concerns...Im not currently running any high steer. Getting the track bar to match your drag link is a piece of cake. they make adjustable axle and frame side mounts....Not sure how different those axles are, but i would think you would have to have a pretty crazy lift height to worry about the flatness on them. At the point youd be very concerned with your caster and other things...

I personally think that 74" would be pretty awesome and made some stuff alot easier... mine was 69" and i wish i had alot more room to work with.

Last edited by Maertz; 08-21-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
That would be the least of my concerns...Im not currently running any high steer. Getting the track bar to match your drag link is a piece of cake. they make adjustable axle and frame side mounts....Not sure how different those axles are, but i would think you would have to have a pretty crazy lift height to worry about the flatness on them. At the point youd be very concerned with your caster and other things...

I personally think that 74" would be pretty awesome and made some stuff alot easier... mine was 69" and i wish i had alot more room to work with.
Yeah, I don't worry about the steering. Rock Solid makes a high steer knuckle, which is cheaper than going with new Reid knuckles.

I thought about the real "Super 60", which is what comes on the F450 and F550. You wouldn't believe the size of the knuckles on those. Ridiculous. Those axles brought too much beef for my build. Also, they are rare and close to $2k for a really used one.

Hopefully I don't regret going with the 72" wide version...
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah, I don't worry about the steering. Rock Solid makes a high steer knuckle, which is cheaper than going with new Reid knuckles.

I thought about the real "Super 60", which is what comes on the F450 and F550. You wouldn't believe the size of the knuckles on those. Ridiculous. Those axles brought too much beef for my build. Also, they are rare and close to $2k for a really used one.

Hopefully I don't regret going with the 72" wide version...
72 will be nice i think. I dont remember if your going outboard cos or what, thats where its a huge help.

Quick Reply: dana super 60