Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous steering problem after front lower adj control arm install

Old 04-17-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dangerous steering problem after front lower adj control arm install

Okay this is a tech question about JK steering.
my JK history,
3.25 rustys lift with 35" mud tires
5.13 gears
Adj front and rear track bar
adj front lower control arms
New oem Steering pump in June. (last one blew)

A week ago I installed adjustable control arms lower front(22 7/8). this morning while I was driving on the Parkway, thank god heading to the Jeep dealership I hit a bump and went into severe bump steer but heard a clunking. pulled over to inspect and didn't see anything hanging or broken. I started to drive again and lost my steering wheel. At one point I was driving straight and my steering wheel was completely sideways. I just had the steering pump replaced in June by jeep. The steering was NOT like driving an old CJ with manual steering. Also at one point, something very weird happened to the electrical system. Out of no where the windshield wipers stopped, all dash lights shut off, radio shut off and as soon as i noticed it everything came back on.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
I started to drive again and lost my steering wheel. At one point I was driving straight and my steering wheel was completely sideways.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "lost my steering wheel"? You mean it shifted so that while you were driving straight it was sideways, like you described after that, or do you mean the wheel just quit working completely? Like it wasn't connected to the steering box anymore?

I don't know how either of those scenarios could be related to the LCA install. The pinion angle can affect the feel of the steering, so if the LCA's aren't adjusted properly you'd notice a difference, but nothing like you described.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'd check the bolt torque on the arms for sure. Even if the pump went, it is gear driven, so if you steering wheel went sideways, you'd be going off the side of the road.

You may be experiencing the traction control kicking on while going straight. That will make you crap your pants if you weren't expecting it. The death wobble is likely due to your caster being too low.

As mentioned above, hard to know what is and isn't related.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

If your steering wheel sideways maybe check the tightness on the two nuts on the drag link turnbuckle. Should be a 15mm socket if I remember correctly. To recenter the steering will grab a hold of it and turn it up or down until the steering wheel is re-centered. Up will move it left and down will move it right. You can do this yourself but it's easier when a second person. Once you get it centered again tighten the nuts down.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update on what went wrong!

I broke my Rust's off-road track bar, and i was going 75mph on the parkway, could have flipped and got hurt or worse died. Not happy at all. The track bar broke where the jam nut is. i hobbled home. this seems to be an issue with Rusty's and my track bar only had maybe 10,000 miles on it. with maybe only a dozen mild offroading trips. will take a pic once i pull it out today.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Wow that is crazy, I suspect while it was broke, you turned the wheel and instead of the front wheels moving like normal the whole axel moved out to one side or it pushed the body of the jeep away from the axel. I bet watching it from the outside would have been interesting, for lack of a better word.
Glad it stayed on the road.

Quick Reply: Dangerous steering problem after front lower adj control arm install