Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer-installed lift, now it pulls to right on highway, likely cause?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The difficult part about installing a lift is that final torquing of the control arms and track bar brackets. That is, they require a lot of torque (85 and 125 ft-lbs), and it needs to be done with full weight of the vehicle on the tires. It's so easy for a shop technician to just torque them down with an impact wrench while the Jeep is still on the lift. It's a lot more difficult if he has to crawl under the Jeep, finagle a torque wrench and adapters onto each bolt/nut, and do the job properly.

Recommend you re-do what the tech most likely did not: Loosen both trackbars and all eight control arms, bounce and jounce the heck out of the Jeep. Then crawl under there and retorque everything: 125 ft-lbs except the upper front control arm, which is 85 ft lbs. After that, check your toe in with a friend and a measuring tape, and adjust if it's off. And recenter your steering wheel. These are easy alignment tasks--if you need direction on doing just search the web on "Jeep JK Front End Alignment". Doing the above will dramatically reduce the chance of you ever experiencing death wobble.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-30-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thought. Swap your tires side to side. Someone mentioned it in a previous reply, but I have had issues with radial pull in the past. Did you have the same tires on before the lift? If so, it could still be that the tires were put back in a different position after the lift. Worth a shot anyway.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by northlander
I also had significant challenged with my "dealer installed" 2.5" AEV on my 2013. It handled horribly. Different symptoms than yours but I had two issues.

The caster was wrong. I ended up moving the control arms to the center hole ( more caster) on the geolocation brackets and it helped tremendously. Per the AEV instructions, I measured the amount of lift in the front and I got 3.25". According to the instructions that needed to be in the center. I also got an alignment done and the toe in was WAY off. Even though they told me they did an alignment and it was good. Of course when I asked for the printer alignment sheet, they could not produce it. After those two things, it drove great.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this lift. I crawled under there with a flashlight this morning and verified all the parts are correctly installed. But I can also see the front axle is off-center by about 3/16" to 1/4". The kit does not have an adjustable front trackbar to correct this. I may bring an adjustable front track bar to an alignment shop and have them install it as part of an alignment check. Before that I will loosen everything, bounce-jounce the jeep and retorque it all.
Overall it does not drive bad, just a slight tug to the right at highway speed.

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 10-30-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like someone said before, if you have an aftermarket steering stabilizer like a FOX it will pull to the right. this is pretty common......
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
I had the dealer install an AEV Dualsport 2.5XT lift and geometry correction brackets on 2014 JKU Rubi before I took delivery Now the jeep pulls to the right on the freeway.
It was fine before lift when i drove on freeway in stock form for test drive. What are the first things I should examine as possible causes? dont trust dealership to make it right. essentially they sucked in so many ways during the buying process.
Thanks.
Check caster and cross caster to make sure they are within factory spec, Specific tire treads and tire pressures can also cause a pull.

RK

Quick Reply: Dealer-installed lift, now it pulls to right on highway, likely cause?