Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble Help

Old 02-26-2017, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble Help

I have a 2012 JK with a teraflex spacer 2.5 lift and stock wheels still. So not a lot of changes.

I have been experiencing the Death Wobble. Took it to our local 4wd shop at 9am and left it til 3:00 and was told they found nothing wrong. Left and headed home with a follow up appt the next Saturday for a new adjustable sway arm ( I think that is the name) and almost wrecked on the interstate. It wobbled so badly I had to skip thru traffic to come to a stop.
The guys told me it may need the new arm or some brackets or new steering stablizer (which I just had put on a few months ago). Sounds like they never checked anything out.
Should I do the new arm or have them take the spacers back off?
I dont trust them and have no other shop to go to but its scarey to drive.
Please some advice ... Thanks so much 🤘🏽
Old 02-26-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

How long has lift been installed? Did it start directly after the lift was installed? They are probably talking about adjustable control arms or correction brackets to help with castor correction. Steering stabilizer shouldn't have any cause for death wobble. Most jeepers drive w/o a steering stabilizer. Most likely ball joints, tie rod ends, or drag link ends. If lift was recently installed maybe not torqued properly by shop!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go up to the Write-Ups area. Stuck right to the top is a good diagnosis thread.

It might have started from a loose bolt or worn out joint, but with each episode of deathwobble, you can probably expect more parts to start failing. Just a suggestion, but grab some tools and check for yourself instead of waiting until next weekend for them...
Old 02-26-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawnphi1
How long has lift been installed? Did it start directly after the lift was installed? They are probably talking about adjustable control arms or correction brackets to help with castor correction. Steering stabilizer shouldn't have any cause for death wobble. Most jeepers drive w/o a steering stabilizer. Most likely ball joints, tie rod ends, or drag link ends. If lift was recently installed maybe not torqued properly by shop!!!

Teraflex lift installed approx 6 months ago. Slight wobble started immed after so went and had a steering stabilizer put on and it was better but now even the smallest of bump will toss me outta whack
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Go up to the Write-Ups area. Stuck right to the top is a good diagnosis thread. It might have started from a loose bolt or worn out joint, but with each episode of deathwobble, you can probably expect more parts to start failing. Just a suggestion, but grab some tools and check for yourself instead of waiting until next weekend for them...
I did take a look around and didnt see anything obvious but in all fairness I'm not really sure what to check so I felt a lil lost under there 😜
Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the stabilizer was just a band aid. Wasn't a fix. It helps mask the problem. If u can't diagnose issue urself and don't trust ur shop that did lift, maybe locate a fellow jeeper or possibly an auto shop that can help diagnose it for u.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Scrappi
I did take a look around and didnt see anything obvious but in all fairness I'm not really sure what to check so I felt a lil lost under there 😜
That's why I mentioned the Diagnosis thread. Suggestions, pics, videos, etc.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That's why I mentioned the Diagnosis thread. Suggestions, pics, videos, etc.
I keep looking for that thread and have even typed in death wobble and its not coming up with anything. Not sure what I am doing wrong 🤔
Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Are you on a phone? I have never used mine to browse the site, but I understand that you see things different. On a computer, it is stuck right to the top of the write-ups area.

Here is a link

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did is purchased the Energy Suspension Front Set for the control arms and track bar. I did not know what it was until I started taking parts off and looking at them first hand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EnergySus.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	667355
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EnergySus.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	667354  

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Help