Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble question

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble question

I have a 3.5 lift on my 2013 Rubi and running the STOCK WHEELS AND STOCK TIRES ( no spacers ) the stock tire is worn to the size 33" air presure is at 36 pounds.

I had a death wobble issue in which i fixed it with putting in bigger bolts ( 9/16 ) in place for the 14mm to the STOCK TRACK BAR. For the past week it has worked fine, until this morning i hit a pothole on the freeway and the Jeep went death wobble nuts!!

I wonder if the small size tires can be contributing to the problem still?

I will be getting NEW WHEELS AND TIRES on next week, Method's and 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's..... this i hope will solve it being that the Jeep will have a WIDER stance.

Am I just dreaming or will this eliminate the WOBBLE.

PLEASE GIVE YOUR INPUT<EXPERIENCE< AND YOUR BEST SOLUTION, IM ALL EARS.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Putting larger tires on will not solve the issue as it shouldn't do it regardless of tire size. Closely inspect the track bar holes at the frame and the axle to see if they're wallowed out. If they are you can weld some washers ontop of them. This is usually the culprit but you're better off checking your track bar bushings, drag link and tie rod ends to see if there's any play. At that height if not already done so your drag link should be flipped to be in line with the track bar because if not you get severe bump steer which you may have mistaken for dw. What kind of lift did you put on?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger tires tend to make death wobble worse from what I've experienced. Also, the death wobble was initiated after whacking a pothole which indicates that the worn tires arent initiating DW. You want to fix this before your new tires.

How many miles on your Jeep? Did you inspect the trackbar bolt holes when you swapped hardware? They can oval very easily, leading to DW. Also inspect your ball joints and all bushings.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKBud
Putting larger tires on will not solve the issue as it shouldn't do it regardless of tire size. Closely inspect the track bar holes at the frame and the axle to see if they're wallowed out. If they are you can weld some washers ontop of them. This is usually the culprit but you're better off checking your track bar bushings, drag link and tie rod ends to see if there's any play. At that height if not already done so your drag link should be flipped to be in line with the track bar because if not you get severe bump steer which you may have mistaken for dw. What kind of lift did you put on?
When I changed out the the bolts there was alittle play but no oval shape to the holes, im sure welding new washers wont hurt to do.
I have the AVE 3.5SC lift with does give me a new heavy duty steering damper that installs from the bottom rather than the stock which installs from the top.
I dont recall that the Drag link needed to be flipped i will look at the installation instruction.

Originally Posted by D_engel
Bigger tires tend to make death wobble worse from what I've experienced. Also, the death wobble was initiated after whacking a pothole which indicates that the worn tires arent initiating DW. You want to fix this before your new tires.

How many miles on your Jeep? Did you inspect the trackbar bolt holes when you swapped hardware? They can oval very easily, leading to DW. Also inspect your ball joints and all bushings.
I have 30K on the Jeep the kit has 10k on it but i just started having the issues. and ball joint and tie rods dont have any play or ware to them.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKBud

I just checked the DRAG LINK and it is "flipped" to be inline with the track bar as AEV instructs. Though i think i may have over torqued it.

Last edited by achtung; 04-16-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So worth the $16-$20 depending where you buy!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1960736824.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	606632  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
So worth the $16-$20 depending where you buy!!

i should've tried this, damn it.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4 Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k
Old 04-16-2015, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

^^ great info ^^ i will do that tonight
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Jeep logic.. I have death wobble.. Guess I need bigger tires! Haha I'm not hating I reason the same way :p

Quick Reply: Death wobble question