Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Trutrac for Sport w/ 3.21 ratio

Old 02-07-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-07_9-29-01.png
Views:	561
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	636884

For future readers; here's a chart since the one in the link about the gearing install is broken.
Stolen from: Jeep Wrangler JK Gear Ratios

Anyone know what going to 4.10 would do to gas mileage? I'm not that concerned about the increased performance. I drive like an old man... and my last car was a souped up AWD R32. I miss that car
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by decoy5657
Anyone know what going to 4.10 would do to gas mileage?
It would hurt. If you honestly aren't interested in performance or drivability, keep the 3.21s.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When everyone talks gearing, it is assumed that people are going to bigger tires. You are staying stock-ish. As long as you are happy with the performance, install the truetracs and enjoy. (and good choice of traction, by the way. I like those things)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah no desire here to ever go bigger on my daily driver. I just bought new 32's (stock) so those are going to last a while. If anything I'll have a set of 275/70's - No big deal.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, do you know why the fronts require specific kit for different ratios and the rear doesn't?
JKs have the "New Gen" D44/30. The 44s all have a thick cut R&P with any gear ratio, whereas an older D44 will have a thin R&P for 3.72 and down and thick cut 3.73 and up, which requires a different carrier that is machined for the correct gear set. The new gen D44 also has an almost D60 size pinion gear. The D44 and D30 both have the same (weak) axle tubes and inner and outer C's. 2012 and newer D30s have the same stub shafts and u-joints as the Rubicon's D44.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

If you are happy with the way your JK accelerates, and are not planning on going with larger diameter tires, stick with the 3.21. I have both front and rear Truetracs and they are awesome in snow, ice, dirt and rocks. I have 3.73 on my 2012 though.

The good thing for your budget is that if you are keeping the 3.21 rings you can have one Truetrac installed first, save up some money and have the other one installed later.

I had the rear one installed first with an Artec truss, then a couple of months later had the front one installed again with an Artec truss and new ball joints. I bought everything during sales and kept them until I was ready to have them installed. It was much easier on the bank account and gave me time to research.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goaterguy
If you are happy with the way your JK accelerates, and are not planning on going with larger diameter tires, stick with the 3.21. I have both front and rear Truetracs and they are awesome in snow, ice, dirt and rocks. I have 3.73 on my 2012 though.

The good thing for your budget is that if you are keeping the 3.21 rings you can have one Truetrac installed first, save up some money and have the other one installed later.

I had the rear one installed first with an Artec truss, then a couple of months later had the front one installed again with an Artec truss and new ball joints. I bought everything during sales and kept them until I was ready to have them installed. It was much easier on the bank account and gave me time to research.
3.73 might have been nicer on the heavier 4 door version, but yeah. I'm happy with it.

Why did you go with a truss?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

3.73 might have been nicer on the heavier 4 door version, but yeah. I'm happy with it.

Why did you go with a truss?
To reinforce and strengthen the differentials. I don't do anything hardcore but the guy that installed the Truetrac is mainly a fabricator https://www.facebook.com/metalwerxdesign/ and his quote was very reasonable. He has experience installing Artec trusses and was already going to work on the diff so I said WTH.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of good feedback here. A set of Yukon gears is only a couple hundred bucks, give or take, depending on where you buy them. For the negligible increase in cost vs. the truetracs, you should go ahead and update your gears. Labor will not go up, so it's just the cost of the parts. Even if you stay stock, 4.10 gears won't impact your MPG's negatively and will make the jeep more enjoyable to drive. I have 4.56 gears and truetracs front and rear with 33" tires. It's so much better on the highway and it's an absolute tractor offroad. Best part is with these gears I can technically go all the way up to a 37" tire if I get froggy, and i'm good to go. The tires i'm running now are 275/70R18's, which are 33x11. Stock wheels, no spacers, all good.

Quick Reply: Detroit Trutrac for Sport w/ 3.21 ratio