Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I screw up with BDS?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I screw up with BDS?

So, I had a 3" BDS lift on my YJ and absolutely loved it. When it came time to raise the Jk, I turned to the same. I hadn't ever (until now) found a negative review.

I did not get adjustable lower control arms or a drop pitman arm. Upon a second thought, I decided to see who else had installed and whether or not their geometry required the two.

Well, of course I would start turning up bad reviews now while looking for those answers. Now I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. Should I try to repackage everything and return the kit in leu of something more proven and popular? Should I just order the pitman and control arms and stay the course? Hell, do I even need them with the 3 inch? I never did find answers.

Ugh. I never had a doubt until now. What a PITA.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 AM
JK Junkie

Def get front lowers. They do not need to be BDS.
Synergy, RK, Currie, EVO, ETC

See how things handle and go from there. If you are feeling bad bumpsteer, look into the Synergy or EVO highsteer.

Does BDS drop or raise the rear TB ?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

What kind of problems are you having with your lift? I have the same 3" BDS lift and I am not having any problems. Mine was installed by the Jeep dealership. This is my second JKU from them with the same lift.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Def get front lowers. They do not need to be BDS. Synergy, RK, Currie, EVO, ETC See how things handle and go from there. If you are feeling bad bumpsteer, look into the Synergy or EVO highsteer. Does BDS drop or raise the rear TB ?
Ok. That's the conclusion I'd come to as well. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hastingsrussell
What kind of problems are you having with your lift? I have the same 3" BDS lift and I am not having any problems. Mine was installed by the Jeep dealership. This is my second JKU from them with the same lift.
No problems yet, I haven't installed it. I was just starting to worry after seeing bad reviews AFTER I'd ordered it.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Should I install my heavy upgrades before or after the lift, or does it matter? I'll be adding bumpers, rockers, winch, dual batteries, and tire carrier in the same phase.

Part of me wants to install the lift first so I can observe the height stock, lifted, and then weighted down. Another part of me suspects the extra weight will limit the lift and help with the front geometry.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're installing everything yourself I would do the lift last since it will be easier to add the other components with the Jeep lower, especially the dual batteries and bumpers. When I installed my bumpers I used a floor jack to help position the bumpers.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you're installing everything yourself I would do the lift last since it will be easier to add the other components with the Jeep lower, especially the dual batteries and bumpers. When I installed my bumpers I used a floor jack to help position the bumpers.
That was my initial plan as well until I started to get curious about the weight. You're probably right though. Better to do the suspension last and then just measure the before and after ride height. After all, the intermediate measurement I was curious about will be largely irrelevant.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're that curious about the effect of the weight, measure how much you loose with the stock springs. It will be pretty close.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you're that curious about the effect of the weight, measure how much you loose with the stock springs. It will be pretty close.
Sometimes it's difficult to see the forest through the trees. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Did I screw up with BDS?