Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did you install prorock axle yourself?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuckMRN
Two 6 ton(min) jack stands will get you the body height you need safely. If you have access to two floor jacks will make it easier. I suggest to strip the housing while under the heap (rotors, knuckles, axles) for stability sake and makes it a little lighter moving it around. Have help coming out and going in with the new housing, going to want to roll on you due to weight of the yoke. Don't ask your wife or girl friend(ask me how I know this). After it's back under the heap put the heavy stuff back on..
Chuck, I laughed about the comment "ask me how I know this", when referring to the wife helping. I ask all the time and ALWAYS regret it. Sweet woman, seriously not mechanically inclined. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I did my pro rock swap in my driveway, had the gears and carrier setup by a professional shop here for 275$CAN.

It was a very simple process. Also take your steering off last so you can use your steering to assist in pulling off your unit bearing as it will probably we welded to the knuckled from rust,

Make sure to buy a tie rod end puller , and a pickle fork.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave7200
I also got my Pro Rock 44 from Dave at Northridge. I ordered it with gears, locker and Dynatrac ball joints already in it. I have 12 ton jack stands so they were just about at their lowest point under the frame making it very solid. If you did coils before you can handle this. I have the Unlimited also and you will notice the Jeep has a more solid feel to it when you go over bumps on the road. I put in RCV shafts at the same time. Be sure and have all the torque specs beforehand for all the different bolts and a good torque wrench. It’s a fun project with a very rewarding outcome.
Awesome, now I'm getting really excited for this upgrade. It's a serious hunk of cash for me, but I know I'll be smiling from ear to ear when I hit the trails with the new setup. I also can't wait to finally have power back from regearing.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
I did my pro rock swap in my driveway, had the gears and carrier setup by a professional shop here for 275$CAN.

It was a very simple process. Also take your steering off last so you can use your steering to assist in pulling off your unit bearing as it will probably we welded to the knuckled from rust,

Make sure to buy a tie rod end puller , and a pickle fork.
Cool, I'll see about getting the tie rod end puller and pickle fork
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the pickle fork is a must!! ^^ On you tube they have a video of some guys putting in a pro rock 44 and the steering knuckles come off the old axle with a couple taps of a hammer. I wondered how on earth my 4 month old jeep could require me pounding the shit out of it until chunks were flying off my rubber mallet before going and buying the pickle fork.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Even though pickle fork often works, I would not buy it or use it for what it's meant. There is a better product:

Click image for larger version

Name:	balljoint.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	395620

No hammering required and tie rod ends pop out very easily, with pretty much zero effort, where a pickle fork and a hammer failed.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does that mystery product have a name, i would like to own it.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Does that mystery product have a name, i would like to own it.
Yes, it does

"Ball joint separator"
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Even though pickle fork often works, I would not buy it or use it for what it's meant. There is a better product:

Attachment 395620

No hammering required and tie rod ends pop out very easily, with pretty much zero effort, where a pickle fork and a hammer failed.

Tie rod puller will make quick work of the tie rod ends and the drag link end on the knuckles, pickle fork will be needed to remove the knuckle from the ball joints on the axle.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
Tie rod puller will make quick work of the tie rod ends and the drag link end on the knuckles, pickle fork will be needed to remove the knuckle from the ball joints on the axle.
This tool removes knuckles from the ball joints.

Quick Reply: did you install prorock axle yourself?