Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different gears front/rear and no front drive shaft?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Different gears front/rear and no front drive shaft?

Looking at getting a used rear D44 Rubi axle that has 5.13 gears, but I have 4.10s up front. Am I ok to drive like that IF I REMOVE the front drive shaft until I can re-gear my front axle? or can this not be done? Had a bunch of people say it's fine but I'm not wanting to grenade anything. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

No driveshaft youll be fine
Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No front drive shaft and you will be fine. You would even be fine if you left the front driveshaft installed and just did not engage 4 wheel drive. Since the driveshaft is so easy to remove it is a good precaution to take so it can't be accidentally put into 4 wheel drive.

But why not just wait to install the rear axle when the front is re-geared? This way if you have the itch to go wheeling you still can.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 03-02-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Great, thanks guys.

Smash, the reason I don't wait is I'll be installing the axles myself to save a bunch of money. To have a shop do it is at least $400 and I'm plenty capable to DIY. Then I will at least be able to still get around while I wait to re-gear the front, and I'll also actually be putting a Rubicon front 44 in as well.

Gotta love the Saharacon!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

Makes sense. You could still wait until you are close to having the gears done then install it this way you still have your 4wd for as long as possible. It would just be a shame if you need 4wd and don't have it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aermotor
Great, thanks guys.

Smash, the reason I don't wait is I'll be installing the axles myself to save a bunch of money. To have a shop do it is at least $400 and I'm plenty capable to DIY. Then I will at least be able to still get around while I wait to re-gear the front, and I'll also actually be putting a Rubicon front 44 in as well.

Gotta love the Saharacon!
You can still wait if you're the one doing it...in fact, that makes it easier. Just keep driving your jeep and once you have the gears for the front, do both at the same time.

You just want an excuse to get under your jeep, don't you?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Oh man, I wish I knew how to do gears myself. I'm very mechanically inclined I just have no clue how installs go on those and I don't need to grenade anything right now.

Quick Reply: Different gears front/rear and no front drive shaft?