Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a warning. This will cause 2012+ JK's to go into limp mode. I wanted to post this for others to save them some aggravation of having to learn this the hard way as I did. When I had mine installed in October I didnt find any drawbacks based on the research I did on the web. In fact I found most distributors listed them for sale for 07-13. It was a great locker and very streetable but unfortunately not compatible with 3.6 and automatic transmission.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fino
Just a warning. This will cause 2012+ JK's to go into limp mode. I wanted to post this for others to save them some aggravation of having to learn this the hard way as I did. When I had mine installed in October I didnt find any drawbacks based on the research I did on the web. In fact I found most distributors listed them for sale for 07-13. It was a great locker and very streetable but unfortunately not compatible with 3.6 and automatic transmission.
Did you change gear ratios? Do you have a ProCal?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am confused as to how a locker caused a Jeep to go into limp mode. Can you tell us exactly what caused it to go into limp mode? I guess I could see it MAYBE messing with abs operation but limp mode doesn't make any sense. Did you change anything else when you put the locker in?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSteve
I am confused as to how a locker caused a Jeep to go into limp mode. Can you tell us exactly what caused it to go into limp mode? I guess I could see it MAYBE messing with abs operation but limp mode doesn't make any sense. Did you change anything else when you put the locker in?
This is why I'm asking about gearing. A gear ratio swap will cause a 2012 JK (with auto trans) to go into limp mode. A ProCal (or similar) is needed for correction. It's easy to guess that a Detroit would also cause it to go into limp mode, even with stock gearing. Detroits effect wheel speed and the computer could sense it. We've not heard that a Detroit will cause the rig to go into limp mode (with either transmission) with a ProCal.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

No factory 3:73 and I have 2012 AEV Procal to adjust for tire size/speedometer. I have also since found one other thread that said they had the same issue. The gearing was the first thing I reconfirmed after install and it was definitely not changed. My diff shop said that he and I believe he said 4Wheel Parts Wholesaler (may have been 4Wheelers Supply) had done a few more since mine and and they all came back with same issue. I think something to do with the brake sensors and/new 5 speed auto trans.

Last edited by fino; 01-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fino
No factory 3:73 and I have 2012 AEV Procal to adjust for tire size/speedometer. I have also since found one other thread that said they had the same issue. The gearing was the first thing I reconfirmed after install and it was definitely not changed. My diff shop said that he and I believe he said 4Wheel Parts Wholesaler (may have been 4Wheelers Supply) had done a few more since mine and and they all came back with same issue. I think something to do with the brake sensors and/new 5 speed auto trans.
Do you have a lift? have you had a good 4 wheel allignment?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swaite3
Do you have a lift? have you had a good 4 wheel allignment?
Can't do a 4 wheel alignment on a JK. All you can do is set the toe on the front and the caster if you have adjustable control arms.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet another reason to get selectable lockers. Sorry the OP had to learn the hard way. Good info for the rest of us though. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

feeling really uneasy with my yukon locker choice now, supposed to be installed monday on my 12
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by swaite3
feeling really uneasy with my yukon locker choice now, supposed to be installed monday on my 12
Guess I will have to see if Northrige will take them back.....aaaaaaaa
zips ar going to cost 1k more with the install F me

Quick Reply: Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic