Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic

Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare issues with my 2012JK re-gear and auto lockrite going into limp mode

I really wish that I would have seen this thread three weeks ago! I have a 2012JK running 35's. Three weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on 4.88 re-gear and went with the lockrite automatic locker (rear only). 40 mils in... the Jeep started going into limp mode!! I have gone threw 2 AEV ProCals, upgraded to a $400 Flashpaq tuner and had the TCM Flashed and re-programmed and have been back to the shop 5 times!!!

The Jeep would go for 40-60 even 80 miles no problem (other than it seemed to be hard to get the Jeep to smoothly sift into overdrive without letting up on the gas). With no rime or reason... just driving down the street to get a coffee... and it would go into limp mode??

So, I started thinking about the possibility that perhaps the issue had something to do with the automatic locker. This brings me to this thread.... after reading all the issues (and I was having the same ones... I realized that my Jeep is going into limp mode when I make a sharp turn and the lockers bump into action. (TCM not understating what's going on and forcing into limp mode).

I just went out to my Jeep after reading this thread and tested by making a hard left!! Boom!!! straight into limp mode! I than turned off the Jeep, restarted (reset) and drove 20 min. on the freeway no issues!!

I am taking the Jeep back tomorrow to the guys that did the re-gear and locker install armed with this new info! I bet that once I go to selectable locker...the problem stops!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Detroit in the front anyone?

I know the thread is a few years old, but maybe there has been some advancement on the issue.

I've gone through all the posts in this thread, as well as a few other posts, and they mostly seem to talking about not putting a Detroit in the Rear on the JKs with 3.6/auto combination.

My question is about the front axle..got a great deal on a Detroit (auto locker, not TT) for a D30, but before I installed it I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has experience with it going into limp mode like the rear? 2wd, 4hi/lo?

2013 JKU, auto, 35's..

Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, no, no.. DANGER. !!!! If it's a trail rig / trailer queen only then fine but not for a DD street and trail machine. Auto lockers are notorious for locking up in slippery conditions. It takes pressure from the wheels to unlock a Detroit to achieve speed differential between the front tires in order to corner. You do not get this in slippery conditions and will push through corners. The True Trac or selectable lockeras are a much better and safer option for the front especially for the D30.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

Unfortunately a Detroit locker will freak the ESC out. Wasn't so much a problem on the early JKs. Some guys who want to go hard core disable the ESC entirely by pull one of the many fuses associated with it, then you can run a Detroit just fun, mechanically it works. Without, any time you are going around a turn under power (wheels locked together) the ESC will shut that party down.

A Detroit in the rear of a 2 Door is marginally livable. With the extra wheel base of a 4 door it's alright. If you live in a rainy or icy climate it'll turn your Jeep into a deathtrap.

A Detroit is far from ideal for a daily driver. It's doable, I've done it, but compared to the many selectable options out there I would save my pennies for a selectable option.

Also, a TrueTrac is a fine choice for a daily. A Truetrac doesn't create the drag between the wheels that a clutch type LSD causes, and is a great match. With proper driving technique, a JK with a pair of Truetracs and some gears will get you anywhere you want to go. They're a great product.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick input everybody! I know having a Detroit isn't ideal in the front, especially with the winters we get here in Canada. For $200 I couldn't pass up the deal.

Now that I'm home and I've cleaned off the oil to be able to read the part numbers..turns out it's a Trutrac after all lol. That would explain why the previous owner didn't report any issues I presume.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeckoJK'13
Thanks for the quick input everybody! I know having a Detroit isn't ideal in the front, especially with the winters we get here in Canada. For $200 I couldn't pass up the deal.

Now that I'm home and I've cleaned off the oil to be able to read the part numbers..turns out it's a Trutrac after all lol. That would explain why the previous owner didn't report any issues I presume.

Nice score on that one....

Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GeckoJK'13

Nice! Problem solved!
Old 02-20-2023, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

Bringing this thread back from the dead just in case so it possibly can help others I have used detroits on a few auto JKs and did not have issues. Both 2008 and a 2012 on one ton axles.

2012 Auto, 3.6 with Dana 60 1979 front and older 14 bolte (smooth bottom) rear, detroits front and rear. I moved the front sensors to the back and installed a wheel speed sensor ring on the 14 bolt hub, running two rear sensors on each side. I removed the J6 fuse under the hood so it disabled ABS, Traction control, downhill descent and cruise control. Your dash lights for ABS and traction control will be on. The ABS on Jeeps kinda suck anyways. The Jeep worked flawless both on and offroad and was my daily driver. No need to do a master cylinder or booster upgrade, the jeep stopped properly on a dime (front dual pistons and rear single piston calipers). You could not even notice the Detroits in action on the road, and they behaved perfectly even in snow. No hard lock and unlocking feeling like the old Detroits used to do on curves, etc.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
This may sound dumb, but I have a 2012 JK with Auto trans and I want to add an Eaton E-Locker that I want to be able to use in both 4Hi and 4Lo. I don't understand most of the stuff you guys are talking about when it comes to pinions, etc. will I have the same limp mode problem with an E Locker that I only use now and then? Thanks.
No, the selectable locker will not give you the issues a non-selectable one will simply because it will not be engaged. The auto trans in the 12+ requires a selectable locker in the rear because of the ABS. Another route would a limited slip, there are some good ones out there that depending on what you do could be a better option for. Also, I noticed that you are in St. Louis, when you get ready to pull the trigger there are a lot of great places in our area that does these get on FB and look around. Sometime you can find club members who do this on the side for a lot cheaper then shop.

Quick Reply: Do not install Detroit Soft Locker on 2012+ Jeep JK with automatic