Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does having a winch on ur front bumper effect ur mpg?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an escape hybrid and be happy.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

adding weight anywhere on the rig will affect MPG, just ease up on the pedal a LiL' bit. using synthetic line on your winch will help quite a bit compared to the steel cable line. Jeeps have the same areodynamics as a brick so drive with the wind not against it :

Last edited by PainKiller; 06-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joisey
Get an escape hybrid and be happy.
Ok that is not original, we r trying to find out if weight affects milage and thats it. Always a troll around to make a lame comment. Regardless if I know I am buying a jeep and the milage sucks I still don't want to make it that much worse. None of us do. I accept jeeps r gas hogs but i sacrifice what I can to enjoy it. But unfortunately we r not all as rich as u so we can't all make smart ass comments.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Wind resistance is the major factor in Hwy mileage & weight is a bigger factor in town because you have to accelerate the mass more often. The added weight of the winch would have about the same affect as having an extra person on board.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4play
Wind resistance is the major factor in Hwy mileage & weight is a bigger factor in town because you have to accelerate the mass more often. The added weight of the winch would have about the same affect as having an extra person on board.
In my case, I think the lost mpg is due to
#1 weight increase on the compressed stock springs
#2 how the stock fenders have a cup shape to them and the stubby bumper allows more wind resistance to hit the wheel wells.

I picked up some flat bushwackers and I hope it will help the aerodynamics a bit.

Lift kit hopefully around xmas.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

I have Mopar bumper, 95 lbs, and a M8000 Warn with a 3/4 level and heavy duty springs, I lost around 1.3-1.8 mpg after adding. The holes the winch has got me out of, I'll take that loss!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

A heavy & brick shaped as a JK is, I have trouble understanding how adding a winch would significantly affect fuel mileage. Driving 65 instead of 75 makes a significant difference, a serious headwind is a significant difference. Carrying three extra people is .3 to .5mpg max on flat level hwy.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

gained some MPG until I level the jeep back, loosing 2 inches in the front certainly get you better aerodynamic but man it ugly !

Quick Reply: Does having a winch on ur front bumper effect ur mpg?