Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this seem fair?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this seem fair?

Hi all,
I'm looking at regearing my JKX to 4.56 from 3.21 and putting a trutrac LSD up front and most likely a Detroit locker in the rear (unless somebody can give me a reason worth $xxx).
So I called up Independent 4x in Ashland, Va and told them what I wanted and they called me back with a quote of $3,000 before tax. $3800 with an ARB rear air locker. So after the minor heart attack, I ran some numbers...

Detroit Trutrac by Eaton Performance Limited Slip Differential: $434
Detroit Rear Locker: $700
Gears: $250
Labor: 8 hours maybe? = $800

Totaling up to $2184 so where is the other $816 coming from? They said they would be needing to change my diff oil, which I know isn't a $816 job.

Is 3 grand about right for this? Does anybody know another shop in Va that might be a little lower? On my budget, I was aiming to pay $2,000 cash by the time it was all said and done. (Hoping 2 grand right in front of them persuades them enough, maybe?)

Last edited by JK505; 11-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Rates vary wildly by location, and east coast rates are generally known to be very high. There are a few shops in California and Texas and now Colorado that offer $1000 gear swaps (parts/labor/out the door). $1600ish seems to be fairly average overall. And as you found, a few places think that 2-3k for new gears is reasonable.

All you can do is shop around to see if you can find lower rates. But, be sure to get reviews/feedback before just going with the lowest rate. And you also have to get numbers on any extra work that has to be done to make a fair comparison. Like the truetrac uses hardened steel, and it is not unusual to have an extra charge for a machine shop to drill out the bolt holes. Or for a selectable, an extra charge for running the lines and mounting the switches. Or even whether the quote is including the air source or not.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

For what it's worth I just went from 3.21 to 4.56 for less than $1200 out the door. I am in GA. Great investment as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Rates vary wildly by location, and east coast rates are generally known to be very high. There are a few shops in California and Texas and now Colorado that offer $1000 gear swaps (parts/labor/out the door). $1600ish seems to be fairly average overall. And as you found, a few places think that 2-3k for new gears is reasonable.

All you can do is shop around to see if you can find lower rates. But, be sure to get reviews/feedback before just going with the lowest rate. And you also have to get numbers on any extra work that has to be done. Like the truetrac uses hardened steel, and it is not unusual to have an extra charge for a machine shop to drill out the bolt holes. Or for a selectable, an extra charge for running the lines and mounting the switches.
Virginia screws me on the great wheeling the west has and now a regear price, of course.
I'm still looking around for a shop to do it, but there's no lines to run with a LSD and Detroit, which is most likely the route I am going to go. This project most likely won't happen within the next 6 months, but I would at least like to get the ball rolling.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Athens_GA_JKU
For what it's worth I just went from 3.21 to 4.56 for less than $1200 out the door. I am in GA. Great investment as far as I am concerned.
See, that's what I've been thinking. And from 3.21 to 4.56 you need a new carrier/locker/LSD in the D30 anyways, so why would adding a LSD up front increase the labor charge when it has to be replaced regardless?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

It's hard to compare hourly labor rates that vary with location, but it doesn't look bad to me presuming it is top quality work. Granted I've only rebuilt a few axles and am meticulously slow -- 8 hours seems too short for two complete re-gear jobs, pressing on new bearings, new oil seals, setting pinion depth, gear mesh, plus all the related stuff.

Regarding the DL (Detroit Locker), I put DL's front and rear in a short bed Ford many years ago and never was happy with the on-road handling of the rear DL. The dog-clutches engage and clunk. On hard pavement only one wheel on an axle actually gets the torque, so it pushes to one side or the other, and when it clunks the torque may shift to the opposite wheel. Driving on icy roads was particularly nerve racking. Off road they worked great, 36" tires and 5.13 gears, which was pretty big 30 years ago. Having written all that, I remember someone on a forum wrote that newer DL's don't have as much of this issue as they did 30 years ago. Perhaps someone with less ancient experience can comment.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK505
Hi all,
I'm looking at regearing my JKX to 4.56 from 3.21 and putting a trutrac LSD up front and most likely a Detroit locker in the rear (unless somebody can give me a reason worth $xxx).
So I called up Independent 4x in Ashland, Va and told them what I wanted and they called me back with a quote of $3,000 before tax. $3800 with an ARB rear air locker. So after the minor heart attack, I ran some numbers...

Detroit Trutrac by Eaton Performance Limited Slip Differential: $434
Detroit Rear Locker: $700
Gears: $250
Labor: 8 hours maybe? = $800

Totaling up to $2184 so where is the other $816 coming from? They said they would be needing to change my diff oil, which I know isn't a $816 job.

Is 3 grand about right for this? Does anybody know another shop in Va that might be a little lower? On my budget, I was aiming to pay $2,000 cash by the time it was all said and done. (Hoping 2 grand right in front of them persuades them enough, maybe?)
Only thing I see missing is gears install kit, (new bearings etc)
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try

Chaos Fab Shop in Berryville, VA Home - Chaos Fab Shop

Iron Pig 4x4 in Fredericksburg, VA Iron Pig Off Road, Toyota Land Cruiser experts
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
It's hard to compare hourly labor rates that vary with location, but it doesn't look bad to me presuming it is top quality work. Granted I've only rebuilt a few axles and am meticulously slow -- 8 hours seems too short for two complete re-gear jobs, pressing on new bearings, new oil seals, setting pinion depth, gear mesh, plus all the related stuff. Regarding the DL (Detroit Locker), I put DL's front and rear in a short bed Ford many years ago and never was happy with the on-road handling of the rear DL. The dog-clutches engage and clunk. On hard pavement only one wheel on an axle actually gets the torque, so it pushes to one side or the other, and when it clunks the torque may shift to the opposite wheel. Driving on icy roads was particularly nerve racking. Off road they worked great, 36" tires and 5.13 gears, which was pretty big 30 years ago. Having written all that, I remember someone on a forum wrote that newer DL's don't have as much of this issue as they did 30 years ago. Perhaps someone with less ancient experience can comment.
I've heard the same thing about the old detroits and they bang and pop and all sorts of stuff but apparently it's pretty dang tough. And the slipping and such is one reason I want an LSD up front.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Try Chaos Fab Shop in Berryville, VA Home - Chaos Fab Shop Iron Pig 4x4 in Fredericksburg, VA Iron Pig Off Road, Toyota Land Cruiser experts
I'll give them both a call tomorrow, thanks Mike, glad there's another Virginian here to help!

Quick Reply: Does this seem fair?