Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft/wheel baring? Funny noise

Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this just got a bit more interesting

they diagnosed the sound to be coming from the rear differential. I have to bring it back next week and leave it with them for a couple of days so they can strip apart the rear end and try to figure out what is going wrong. All entirely under warranty and the guys are being great about it (as they should be with such few miles on the jeep). They heard the noise on the first test drive today knew exactly what I was talking about but couldnt figure out what it was in the 2 hours they had it...stay tuned
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks as though they think it is an issue with the rear differential due to the low gearing vs the tire size. I never had this issue in my 2010 stick, maybe because I was controlling the shift points? Does that seem right that with just 7k miles, all street driven, and 37" all terrain tires that the rear diff gearing could be toast already? Seems like they are going to cover everything under warranty which is to be expected, but want to talk to me about upgrading the gearing. I have a brand new set of Yukon 5.13 gears sitting in my basement I never got around to installing in the 2010 so I already have the parts, it just seems strange to me that that sound could be coming from that?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft/wheel baring? Funny noise