Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drop in aFe Pro air filter (cone shaped) or flat high flow air filter for 2012 3.6l

Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop in aFe Pro air filter (cone shaped) or flat high flow air filter for 2012 3.6l

I searched a bit around and looking on an opinion on the neat cone shaped drop in air filter from aFe or would the traditional flat design be better? Application would be for a 2012 JKU 3.6l. Anyone notice any bit of a sound difference? (I realize it will not be as loud as a true CAI, just curious) I'm also future proofing myself because I have my eye on the Rugged Ridge Snorkel that utilizes the factory box. I dug up an interesting opinion from one forum that points outs the fact that the shape of the cone filter may not optimize air flow within the stock air box. No real-world testing to prove one way or another. I'm on the fence with what I would go with right now.

aFe Pro 5 Power Air FilteraFe Power 30-80155 - aFe Pro 5 Power Air Filter for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L V6 Engine - Quadratec

aFe Pro 7 Power Air FilteraFe Power 73-80155 - aFe Pro 7 Power Air Filter for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L V6 Engine - Quadratec

aFe Power Magnum Flow Pro Dry S Air FilteraFe Power 31-10155 - aFe Power Magnum Flow Pro Dry S Air Filter for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.6/3.8L - Quadratec

Welcoming opinions and technical insight on the application.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Performance wise I don't think it will make much difference. I went with a k&n drop in and I can't notice much improvement in performance but it is re-usable
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

The most a reusable airfilter like the K&N or AFE air filter for a stock box is going to do is maybe improve the gas milage a little bit because it allows more air to flow through. I have a drop in K&N filter and there is absolutly no sound difference.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the above. dont expect a noticable performance gain or a change in sound with the drop ins. they do a great job of filtering and last a life time. for what its worth i went with a K N filter. they have been around a while and are proven. if you go with an oiled filter just be careful not to over oil it and get oil on the airflow sensor.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no CAI

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...e-help-254281/

Quick Reply: drop in aFe Pro air filter (cone shaped) or flat high flow air filter for 2012 3.6l