Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duratrac Tire Failure

Old 07-21-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-good-tires-go-bad/
Old 07-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

For having only 25K miles on it, that Duratrac looks pretty worn to me. No way, you're getting 50K miles out of what's left.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI, I usually buy my tires from Discount Tire and insure them. My last set, I bought 5 BFG KO take-offs from a friend who had just bought a Rubicon and he went up to 37s. I had Discount Tire install his BFGs on my JK And they let me insure them. They had about 3k miles and no problem putting insurance on them.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the additional comments and help.

14Sport I'm sure you posted something....but that avatar, oh wait there it is.

I actually saw that report when it first came out. Yesterday morning I was looking at the Goodyear website, where they say you can buy tires directly from them. Actually they just refer to a local installer and ship the tire(s) to them. So I phoned Goodyear to ask if they provide any assurance for getting a tire with a recent manufactured date. They profusely state that tire age doesn't matter??

After some discussion I asked why do they put the manufactured date on the tire, to which they had no comment, only refering to some rubber company website. Sheesh.

Rednroll I know it looks bad in the photo, could be the angle and all the dirt, but they still look fine when cleaned up with plent of tread left. Come to think of it, think I'll measure the tread and compare it against future mileage in attempt to predict when I should get new tires.

Cutman thanks for the tip. I am going with Discount Tire, but was unaware of any insurance for the tires. I'll be sure to look into that further.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default search craigslist, or local 4x4 clubs on Facebook

I found myself ripping my sidewall last weekend. Lucky I also always rotate all 5 tires, went online and found a guy who snapped his LCA puncturing 1 of his. He had the other 3 for sale I picked one up for $100. I got crazy lucky as it only had 1/32 more than my tires.

Because a picture is worth a 1000 words

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	652834
Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso

After some discussion I asked why do they put the manufactured date on the tire, to which they had no comment, only refering to some rubber company website. Sheesh.
Since Goodyear couldn't provide you an answer.

Most everything that gets manufactured has some kind of manufacturing date on it which is broken down by the week, day and year, sometimes in the time. It's not always obvious to be able to find the date info and often you will need some kind of decoder to figure out the actual day but it is pretty typical to include the date within a part's serial number.

The biggest reason for this is that sometimes manufacturing processes may experience some type of problem and run into what are known as latent failures. These are failures that pass the end of line inspection tests, but then after they're in the field for a period of time and parts are exposed to environmental elements these latent failures can show up as real problems. Thus, this is the case when you receive a recall notification on your JK, and they additionally indicate a range of dates of which JK's can experience a particular problem. Such is the case with the recent clock spring recall.

Since we're talking about tires I'll provide an example. Tire Rubber is mixture of various compounds which get mixed together in the manufacturing process. A manufacturer typically receives these compounds from another vendor who specializes in....well compound manufacturing. That vendor may have experienced a problem in their manufacturing process which contaminated the compound or the compound didn't have a proper mixture. This gets sent to a manufacturer like Good Year who mixes the compound and nothing is wrong with Goodyear's manufacturing process and the tires pass inspection. Then after being used on the road for 1+ years Good Year finds there have been a number of warranty returns of say for example, their tires splitting. They look at all the date codes on those warranty returns and may find, all those returns occurred on tires manufactured during the 4th week of February. They then further investigate with their vendors and eventually discover their compound supplier had a manufacturing problem and that problem existed between the 1st week of January and lasted for 2 weeks. Good Year is then able to determine how many tires were made with the bad compound and during what time frame those tires were manufactured. So they may notify everyone that purchased those tires that they should visit their tire retail store and they are entitled to replacement tires and failing to do so, may lead them to experience that problem.

So everyting works like this in manufacturing, it doesn't make a difference what you manufacture there is typically some type of date code placed on the product and the reason is to be able to identify a latent failure product and access how many products were impacted and to assist in the investigation process of why the problem occurred so it can be corrected and ensure it doesn't escape the manufacturing tests in the future.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
14Sport I'm sure you posted something....but that avatar, oh wait there it is.
My reply detracts from the avatar so I try to keep it short.

Testing removing vowels...

My rply dtrcts frm th vtr s I try t kp t shrt.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-22-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:57 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport

My reply detracts from the avatar so I try to keep it short.

Testing removing vowels...

My rply dtrcts frm th vtr s I try t kp t shrt.
Y lft n n.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ade
Y lft n n.
I knw bt t ws stndln.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Ha, good one 14Sport

Rednrool, thanks for the details on the QA process and so forth, very useful info.

junoh, sorry about that side wall. I hate to say it, but I forgot about craigslist and instead looked around locally for a used tire, but no luck. After seeing your post I looked on CL. There were some that came close to size, but nothing just right. Man, I would have been PO'd if I found a deal used because I have already ordered a new tire from Discount Tire. I figure I'll just hand the new tire up as the spare and then replace the other four when the time is right, another year or more.

Quick Reply: Duratrac Tire Failure