Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProCal OBD Programmer

Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProCal OBD Programmer

Hey - did we all get hosed spending over $350 for a MaxEnergy. The Quadratec catalog has a programmer called the ProCal OBD Code Reader and Programmer. It says it re-programs for gears, tires, shift points, idle speed, light settings, AND TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR PSI (so the alert won't go off below 29psi)!

Anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if Hypertech will post an upgrade that adds the tire pressure sensor option!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have it and it the best toy I've got for ky jeep yet.I regaled my speedo in 5 seconds with it reentered my steering an reset my tire pressure sensors. Its awesome
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

i have and it is great a bunch of us have purchased it. discussed in length here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=procal
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kflash
Hey - did we all get hosed spending over $350 for a MaxEnergy. The Quadratec catalog has a programmer called the ProCal OBD Code Reader and Programmer. It says it re-programs for gears, tires, shift points, idle speed, light settings, AND TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR PSI (so the alert won't go off below 29psi)!

Anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if Hypertech will post an upgrade that adds the tire pressure sensor option!
The ProCal does not do shift points. And it does not tune the computer at all. Also it clears codes and the codes it reads can't be seen so to call it a reader it ain't.

You can't compare the Procal to the Max Energy. Hypertech could eventually make the Max Energy do everything the ProCal does. And the Procal will never do what the Max Energy can do.

I own a ProCal and it has been an investment. A true investment! I paid like 140 for it with handling I've used it twice, 90 bucks a pop at the dealer for a flash so I'm now ahead 40 bucks! And the dealer could not or would not set the TMPS down to 15 PSI.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I will have mine Monday morning, I will let you know
Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Great device for the money. Have used to lower TPMS sensor point to reasonable air pressures and have used it to Enable DRL - the only useful things for the stock foglights is as DRL's! Will be using it soon for speedo recalibration when get new tires next month. Can also use it to increase idle speed while winching without you having to have your foot on the gas pedal.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not getting hosed, its paying a premium to be an early adopter. We all forget how new these JKs still are and if you want the latest/greatest, you pay the price. We will see this happen across the board for all JK products, not just programmers. As the market matures the prices will come down...
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Yeah I know, Marketing 101! It would still be nice to see Hypertech come out with the TPSM feature to keep us early adopters happy!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Its not getting hosed, its paying a premium to be an early adopter. We all forget how new these JKs still are and if you want the latest/greatest, you pay the price. We will see this happen across the board for all JK products, not just programmers. As the market matures the prices will come down...
Just to add my 2cents. We didn't get "hosed" at all. Not only is the JK platform very young, and mods take a lot of R&D to bring to market...

But...

To the OP's comment. The Hypertech and the AEV Procal unit are NOT the same tool. So therefore should not be compared. All though they have overlapping qualitities they are for two DISTINCT markets and purpose.

If you bought the Max Energy just to set your gear and tire ratio... then you did not use it for its main use. It's like using the big a$$ Craftsman screwdriver as a crowbar, and then crying when it breaks like a screwdriver. Good tool used for the wrong purpose.

For the books. I owned both. Only sold the Hypertech because I could no longer enjoy the power programming since I installed the Ripp supercharger. So the Procal does ONLY what I need now, which is set my gear/ tires.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bet that Hypertech will be adding the TPMS feature very soon. Superchips is coming out with a their Flashpaq that does what the Hypertech and AEV both do plus more. Info HERE. I think I'm gonna have to get me one when they come out.

Quick Reply: ProCal OBD Programmer