Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatrac Prorock 44

Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
My buddy and I both have the PR44 set up on 37's he's gone thru 2 RCV's and myself 1 fully covered by the lifetime warranty... R&P just fine
That's good to hear.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So a little over a year ago I bought a prorock 44. It's been great, no issues whatsoever. Back in June I managed to bend my stock rear hosing enough to kill wheel bearings. I was ready to sell the prorock front, wheels and tires and make the jump to the Dana ultimate 60's. Then I started doing the math.
$11500 for the set of axles.
$1800 for 4 new trail ready beadlocks
$1400 for 4 new 37's
$1000 for new drive shafts
$100 new master cylinder

When it came down to it I was still looking at around $9k out of pocket. Around $16k up front to get everything ordered before putting it on stands and trying to sell everything off. So I ordered a teraflex crd60 for about $3800 instead. I wish I had the time or space to do it myself and build my own axles, but at this point this was what made the most sense for me. One day when I have the time and a garage to do it in I'll switch it around again
Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

My buddy and I both have the PR44 set up on 37's he's gone thru 2 RCV's and myself 1 fully covered by the lifetime warranty... R&P just fine
But where are the rcvs breaking? Outer stub?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417
You still have to burn c gussets on as well as a tracbar bracket and lca skids or new brackets. Also most people cant set gears or weld so labor cost isn't included in that 865. Lastly those axles do not have castor correction which is a nice benefit
Don't need C gussets on a D44HD as the Cs themselves don't bend, its the tubes on the lighter D44 that bends at the Cs weld. The gusset supports that joint by giving more support between C and tube. My D44HD build complete will all new parts was $2500. I Didn't require caster correction and the raised trackbar mount I used was AEV bolt on. Castor corrected housings are for 4" plus lifts anyway.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 10-04-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Don't need C gussets on a D44HD as the Cs themselves don't bend, its the tubes on the lighter D44 that bends at the Cs weld. The gusset supports that joint by giving more support between C and tube. My D44HD build complete will all new parts was $2500. I Didn't require caster correction and the raised trackbar mount I used was AEV bolt on. Castor corrected housings are for 4" plus lifts anyway.
That's incorrect about not needing the c's. The c,s are the same on the d30, d44 and HD d44 and will need to be gusseted. Those are the weakest parts of these axles. Caster correction in the housing is not "needed" but a great luxury to have while giving you the optimal pinion angle and maintaining the best on road ride. Also 4" is not a "magic number" for caster correction as it can benefit at any lift height. Lastly in your cost estimate you did not factor in the cost for gear and locker install. Not saying this build will be more expensive than a prorock just some info for folks contemplating the swap
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I have yet to see a bent C on the new gen D30, or D44 however I have seen the tubes bent at the C weld. Older D44 on TJs may have bent hence the inner C gussets.
I've had a 30mph front end collision where the front wheel took the hit and the only things that bent were the control arms and brackets. That new gen C on the Super 30 and 44 are tougher then people give them credit for.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 10-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

I have yet to see a bent C on the new gen D30, or D44 however I have seen the tubes bent at the C weld. Older D44 on TJs may have bent hence the inner C gussets. I've had a 30mph front end collision where the front wheel took the hit and the only things that bent were the control arms and brackets. That new gen C on the Super 30 and 44 are tougher then people give them credit for.
Super 30?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz

But where are the rcvs breaking? Outer stub?
On the outer spline ... I had pics but can't find them ..... Like a groove wears thru the splines
Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I have yet to see a bent C on the new gen D30, or D44 however I have seen the tubes bent at the C weld. Older D44 on TJs may have bent hence the inner C gussets. I've had a 30mph front end collision where the front wheel took the hit and the only things that bent were the control arms and brackets. That new gen C on the Super 30 and 44 are tougher then people give them credit for.
Just because you yourself haven't seen a bent c doesn't mean it's not common. Do a search on c gussets or jk inner axle c. It's the most common mod that's done to jk axles
Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417
Just because you yourself haven't seen a bent c doesn't mean it's not common. Do a search on c gussets or jk inner axle c. It's the most common mod that's done to jk axles
They call them inner C gussets but they weld on the outside of the C and tube. Unlike the TJ inner C gussets that are actually welded on the inside of the C. I have done many searches in my research and have seen no bent Cs only bent tubes on JK D44 and D30.

Yes the JK D30 and D44 are specified as Super 30 and Super 44 on the Dana/Spicer website...

Quick Reply: Dynatrac Prorock 44