Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What degree of a lift do I need?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What degree of a lift do I need?

I was wanting to do a 3-3.5" lift with 35s. Now that I look at pictures, I think 2.5" will be plenty, and I'll probably go with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. It's going to be mainly a daily driver with occasional offroading, but even then it's going to be mainly fast fire roads and random trails up around the mountains of NC and SC. And all this is going on a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon that I'm in the works with purchasing right now. So anyways, on to the lift. I'm looking at the Rock Krawler 2.5 lifts, and I don't know if I really need all the control arms and what not. In terms of usability, what does each step gain when going from the stock mod to the flex and then to the max 2.5 system?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a bb if youre only going 2.5". Teraflex with shock extensions is what i have and it does the job and then some! With only 2.5" ... anything more than spacers and bump stops and sway bar links and shocks/extensions is not needed.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Metal cloak has some great lifts, with a kit for just about anyone. I'm currently switching from TF BB to 2.5 in metal cloak (just waiting on springs to arrive) springs with their control arms already installed and Bilstien 5100s with 16/27 up front and 15/25 in back. Their 2.5 in springs have a max extension of 21+ inches, which, coupled with their control arms grants an amazing amount of flex on a low COG build. I'll have it installed once I'm back this week from work travel. If you decide to go TF BB, I'll have a full kit (minus sway bar links that are remaining on Jeep) with Rubi shocks and springs from an unlimited available that ill post on the forum. If you happen to have a 2 door this setup can give you as much as 3.5-4 inches of lift. Oh and since you're in the Carolina's you should make it to Uwharrie national forest for some sweet wheeling!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClemsonMarshal
I was wanting to do a 3-3.5" lift with 35s. Now that I look at pictures, I think 2.5" will be plenty, and I'll probably go with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. It's going to be mainly a daily driver with occasional offroading, but even then it's going to be mainly fast fire roads and random trails up around the mountains of NC and SC. And all this is going on a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon that I'm in the works with purchasing right now. So anyways, on to the lift. I'm looking at the Rock Krawler 2.5 lifts, and I don't know if I really need all the control arms and what not. In terms of usability, what does each step gain when going from the stock mod to the flex and then to the max 2.5 system?
I have the teraflex leveling kit and 295/70/18 (34 od) trail grapplers. I have plenty of room

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-108790597.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	383717
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3440075249.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	383715   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-965923477.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	383716  
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jfh1976
Metal cloak has some great lifts, with a kit for just about anyone. I'm currently switching from TF BB to 2.5 in metal cloak (just waiting on springs to arrive) springs with their control arms already installed and Bilstien 5100s with 16/27 up front and 15/25 in back. Their 2.5 in springs have a max extension of 21+ inches, which, coupled with their control arms grants an amazing amount of flex on a low COG build. I'll have it installed once I'm back this week from work travel. If you decide to go TF BB, I'll have a full kit (minus sway bar links that are remaining on Jeep) with Rubi shocks and springs from an unlimited available that ill post on the forum. If you happen to have a 2 door this setup can give you as much as 3.5-4 inches of lift. Oh and since you're in the Carolina's you should make it to Uwharrie national forest for some sweet wheeling!
Sorry I just seen you have an unlimited already!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a RK 2.5 Max Travel. It is awesome on the East TN/West NC trails. I have noticed a huge difference in performance over stock. PM me if you need any more help.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Get a bb if youre only going 2.5". Teraflex with shock extensions is what i have and it does the job and then some! With only 2.5" ... anything more than spacers and bump stops and sway bar links and shocks/extensions is not needed.
If I'm going to do that, why not just go with a Rough Country and get basically the same thing for 1/4 the price?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
How is the ride compared to the stock set up?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SWAMP RAT
How is the ride compared to the stock set up?
It is the stock setup. You're basically just applying the concept of a body lift to the coils.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rolltide66
I have the teraflex leveling kit and 295/70/18 (34 od) trail grapplers. I have plenty of room

Attachment 383717
That looks pretty sweet! Do you happen to have any other pictures from the side taken at a lower angle? It's kinda hard to see in that one outside picture just how much room there is in the fenders. Also, not sure how long you've had those Trail Grapplers, but how is the wear on them so far?

Quick Reply: What degree of a lift do I need?