Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-autogrilles Ebay Fender Flares

Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Digging this post back up in relation to a recent inquiry today. Curious what the outcome ended up being, and what your current opinion is of them.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Is the tube thickness enough to take a small hit from a rock? Does the mounting method keep them rigid enough to not flex on the body?
Old post i know ... Lol

Mine are Barricade fenders but if i were to wager a guess, they came from the same factory. Yes they will take a hit from a rock. As far as body damage i would worry. Especially with the rears because fitment is crap.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Old post i know ... Lol

Mine are Barricade fenders but if i were to wager a guess, they came from the same factory. Yes they will take a hit from a rock. As far as body damage i would worry. Especially with the rears because fitment is crap.
Yah, just kinda curious what the outcome was mainly. A lot of these posts get started and then there's never a follow-up posted, so then someone else starts a thread about the same thing....which then reminds me of the old post.

Are you saying that the Barricades you have can't take much pressure applied from the sides without risking some damage to the body? I see how that happens with the Bushwackers I had, but it seems like people with Smittybilts don't have that issue, and the other cheap steel ones that mount to the pinch seam as well would hold up ok. Or, are you just saying that mounting them in general isn't great? I wouldn't expect them to hold up in a roll or anything, but would think they are still better than plastic.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what I'm thinking. Heck, I've had a rear OEM flare come loose so these have to be more sturdy. There are a couple of vendors selling these tube flares on EBay and they all appear identical. I'd bet money they all come out of the same factory.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yah, just kinda curious what the outcome was mainly. A lot of these posts get started and then there's never a follow-up posted, so then someone else starts a thread about the same thing....which then reminds me of the old post. Are you saying that the Barricades you have can't take much pressure applied from the sides without risking some damage to the body? I see how that happens with the Bushwackers I had, but it seems like people with Smittybilts don't have that issue, and the other cheap steel ones that mount to the pinch seam as well would hold up ok. Or, are you just saying that mounting them in general isn't great? I wouldn't expect them to hold up in a roll or anything, but would think they are still better than plastic.
The fenders are pretty strong. It would take a harder hit to damage the body.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry! I thought I posted pics in this thread. I'll have to grab some and post them.

The flares are pretty strong.. they were scuffed in places, but were easily touched up. They seem pretty sturdy. Definitely a lot better than plastic. Pretty sure I could do that "Standing-on-your-metal-flat fenders-to-show-how-strong-they-are" pic with no worries...

Fitment was off. The real issue that i had, was using the nutserts on the back. I had to buy the nutsert riveter/gun to install them, and the one from Harbor Freight did not come with the right size nutsert thread... so I ended up buying some slightly larger nutserts from Amazon (pretty cheap). After that, they went on pretty easily.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by feroxjb
Sorry! I thought I posted pics in this thread. I'll have to grab some and post them.

The flares are pretty strong.. they were scuffed in places, but were easily touched up. They seem pretty sturdy. Definitely a lot better than plastic. Pretty sure I could do that "Standing-on-your-metal-flat fenders-to-show-how-strong-they-are" pic with no worries...

Fitment was off. The real issue that i had, was using the nutserts on the back. I had to buy the nutsert riveter/gun to install them, and the one from Harbor Freight did not come with the right size nutsert thread... so I ended up buying some slightly larger nutserts from Amazon (pretty cheap). After that, they went on pretty easily.
Would really like to see several shots of them on your rig.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catahoula
Would really like to see several shots of them on your rig.
Same here
Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would too!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay. Too many life issues to deal with at one time!

As promised and requested (Belated of course).

Would I buy them again? Yes I most definitely would.

Are they a perfect fit? Nope. They are a pain in the ass to get on, but it is manageable.

The Nutsert inserts are a pain in the ass.. don't even try to do it the manual/youtube method of using a pair of pliers to hold it and then try and tighten it to anchor it. You will need to get a threaded nutsert tool. (e.g. Harbor Freight... just fyi the nutserts that come with the flares do not fit the size threads that come with the Harbor Freight tool. I ended up buying a slightly larger pack of nutserts from Amazon for about $10 for a 50 I think, and some new 1/4-20 bolts.)

I struggled for hours trying to install the nutserts the "manual" way without the tool.. it sucks balls. After I got the tool, nutserts, and new bolts.. probably about 30 mins for each flare on the rear.

1/4-20 Nutserts - Amazon Nutserts: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-20Pcs-...tsert+1%2F4-20
Harbor Freight Riveter: 3-in-1 Riveter Kit
Home Depot - Bolts/Nuts/Kitkat -- Because KitKats make things easier to deal with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boltspic.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	665725

Of course if you have a Riveter with the correct side threading--You can use the pieces that come with flare kit. I did not however, and it was cheaper for me to buy a CHEAP riveter tool + Bolts + Nutserts + Kitkat... than to buy a more expensive riveter with the matching thread for the nutserts that come with the flare kit. Whacky right? I know.

Would it hold up to bashing a rock? Yes. Would it keep you from bending your fender... meh.. the fender will definitely bend before the flares do.

Also.. it's almost guaranteed (based on reviews and comments that I've seen on Ebay/forums) that they will come scuffed if you buy them from Ebay... however, they were very willing to credit me some money back for the damage. ($80 credited back for my set). I can't even tell they were scuffed after I touched them up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092602.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	741.0 KB
ID:	665718Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092623.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	872.5 KB
ID:	665719Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092630.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	665720Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092641.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	853.1 KB
ID:	665721Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092651.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	748.1 KB
ID:	665722Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092701.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	693.5 KB
ID:	665723Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_092707.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	665724

Edited: For more information

Last edited by feroxjb; 01-31-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: E-autogrilles Ebay Fender Flares