Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest Soft Top Option for 4 Dr Hardtop

Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Trektop

Originally Posted by swizzle
I have the Bestop TrekTop NX on my 13. You still have zippered side and back windows to deal with. My only gripe (which goes with all softies) is having to unzip/zip the rear window for access from the tailgate. With that in mind, I love it. I swap between Hard and Soft tops Late Spring and Fall and really the only time my soft top is up is if I think it's going to rain, open air baby. I have swapping down to under an hour both ways. I have dealt with the factory soft top and it is quite easy to put up/down by yourself, but yes, you still have zippered windows to deal with. For me, the soft top is really only there for rain.

This top does not come down all the way, correct? Am I correct that the rear and side windows come down, and it has a sunrider option, but the entire top will come all the way down. Yes?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Bestop is introducing a new top this Spring that was debuted at SEMA. It's called the Trektop NX Glide. It's a fastback top that now folds back over the front seats (Sunrider) and then all of the way back. The Windows slide in and out of channels - no zippers! Also can be used in a bikini config. It looks really cool. If you google it, there's a video on 4WD Mechanix site that shows the operation of the top along with other Bestop new products.

Might be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
Bestop is introducing a new top this Spring that was debuted at SEMA. It's called the Trektop NX Glide. It's a fastback top that now folds back over the front seats (Sunrider) and then all of the way back. The Windows slide in and out of channels - no zippers! Also can be used in a bikini config. It looks really cool. If you google it, there's a video on 4WD Mechanix site that shows the operation of the top along with other Bestop new products.

I just checked out couple videos on that top. That is pretty slick!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Watch videos of both tops and you will see how easy or not for yourself. I choose to do the flip back sun option on my OEM as we get enough consistent rain here in NH. It gets me the exact same feel as putting it down all the way and takes 5 seconds to do. This is nice as if I get caught in a quick rainshower I can flip it forward in less than five seconds. I wish it was simpler to put it all the way down because I think it looks better, but I don't notice a difference exposure wise when driving when the sun option is flipped back or it's down all the way. I guess it actually is windier when it's down all the way. The new top sounds intriguing however buyer beware if it's brand-new it may have long term leak issues until they work out all the kinks.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Smile Wonderful tip !

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com

Thank you for the wonderful tip. This just might be the exact thing that I need ! I like the fastback look, and it appears to go up and down easily. I would assume that Bestop will offer a lifetime warranty on their heavy twill version. I will certainly check this product out before making a move. Once again, thank you !
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Always the possibility

Originally Posted by flyfish29
Watch videos of both tops and you will see how easy or not for yourself. I choose to do the flip back sun option on my OEM as we get enough consistent rain here in NH. It gets me the exact same feel as putting it down all the way and takes 5 seconds to do. This is nice as if I get caught in a quick rainshower I can flip it forward in less than five seconds. I wish it was simpler to put it all the way down because I think it looks better, but I don't notice a difference exposure wise when driving when the sun option is flipped back or it's down all the way. I guess it actually is windier when it's down all the way. The new top sounds intriguing however buyer beware if it's brand-new it may have long term leak issues until they work out all the kinks.
On my '09 2 DR I only used the sunrider option, given the hassle of a full take down. It seems like the newer models have improved the functionality of the soft top removal issues. This newest top, the glide seems to go a step further, and I like the fastback look. I am mindful of any first time product with performance issues etc. However, it would seem to me that only leakage and noise would be performance questions, and they should have that tested out. But who knows. Nothing would surprise me nowadays. In any event, the glide top seems to be a huge advancement and might be hard to reject on "newness" grounds.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcatty
Thank you, here are my questions about the Bestop Trektop NX:

1. Initial installation ? Some people have said that the instructions are lousy, and that it took them up to 3-4 hours to install. Yes? How complicated was the install?

2. Re-install of hardtop for winter. Must one remove all of the Trektop installation hardware before one re-installs the hard-top?

3. Once the Trektop is installed, how easy or difficult and time--consuming is it to put the top all the way down, and then to put back up ? (On my '98 2 DR I had to fight to pull clasps, basically a 30 minute operation).

4. Any leaking, wind noise, or instability?

In sum, I am trying to find the easiest, most user friendly soft top that is of good quality. I really like the lifetime warranty with your Bestop.

Thank you for taking the time to address each of my concerns numbers 1-4

1. Installation is not difficult and I thought the instructions were fine. I did watch some youtube videos before the first install and found those very helpful. First install will take more time because there is some assembly required of the top itself.

2. Yes, you must remove all the hardware except the rear bow brackets. I have heard you can leave the cable brackets installed but it is a very tight fit when installing the hard top. I just pull mine off to be safe. Given that I only install and remove once a year I don't mind.

3. This is the main downside of the Trektop NX. It is not the easiest top to completely remove. I rarely take mine all the way off. If you want open air above the back seat this is probably not the top for you.

4. Pretty sure mine leaks less than my hardtop. Wind noise is not terrible, but with the windows removed the rear does flap quite a bit and the zippers tend to rattle on the cable brackets. Also, with the front folded back, the header bounces and thumps on the roll bar when you hit a cross wind. No noise complaints whatsoever when the top is all buttoned up.

The Trektop NX Glide is a cool concept, but i do not like the steeper angle of the slant back. It also appears to sit up higher above the doors. One of my favorite things bout my Trektop NX is how it hugs the top of the Jeep.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Bestop Trektop Pro

I recently installed the Trektop Pro. Easy down top. No zippers. Glass side and back hatch, no more reaching under the back bar. Very quiet. I have absolutely no complaints,
Put it through a hand held pressure car wash trying to make it leak. No luck it is water tight. Love this top. Night and day difference from the factory soft top on my 07 JKU.,

Quick Reply: Easiest Soft Top Option for 4 Dr Hardtop