Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Kill Switch Write-up

Has anyone done one? I'd REALLY like to see it if they have. Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

pm sent....
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
pm sent....
Would you kindly send me the link as well.

Interested in overriding/deactivating the ESP and the ABS in one quick push if possible when needed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too!! Could you just start a thread or write it out here? There's already a couple of threads out there, but none that have a definitive, detailed writeup. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 AM
JK Freak

post it up.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There used to be a write-up on this, but I searched and couldn't find it, so I suspect it's gone. I'll steer away from the politics of why this sometimes happens. But, this mod is a popular request. We could sure use another write-up if one of you has the time and inclination.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

yes this would be nice especially if it also disabled the BLD's
Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not sure why the thread disappeared, but it was removed. I will let the moderators determine if it should be here or not. If they see fit, they can edit this post.....

Okay here you go, this is the exact instructions that I copied from that post that has mysteriously been deleted. I don't remember the forum member that posted them, but this is HIS instructions. To clarify, what I found,..just make sure it is the Purple wire with the thin light blue stripe. Follow the directions as close as you can as outlined below. Sorry I don't have any pics. Good luck.....I got it on the first try....I will add that, I keep my jeep on factory settings for on road use, as I prefer to keep ABS activated, but only use this aftermarket custom feature for offroad use......

I am not encouraging or condoning anyone to do this, nor am I responsible for any issues that could arise after that resulted from doing this mod, but merely forwarding the original posted information on how to....Use at your own discretion on and off road hereafter... see below original post...

cheers,

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Once complete, when you want to switch the ESP you just flick the switch off. When you flip the switch the three lights on the dash will turn on and stay on until you turn your Jeep off and start it again. The ESP and ABS will remain disabled until you turn the switch back on, turn off and restart the Jeep.

Tools/supplies needed: wire cutter, wire stripper, razor knife, soldering iron, solder, couple feet of wire, drill, toggle switch, electrical tape.

*note* I soldered all the joints but you could use crimp style connectors if thats your cup of tea.

-First figure out where you are going to mount your switch and cut two pieces of wire long enough to run from the spliced joints to the.
-Remove panel below steering wheel. You really only need to do this if you are going to put your switch in the same area as I did.
-Locate the bundle of wires on the right side of the foot-well. Mine was not tapped up – If yours is, you will need to remove the tape using a razor knife or similar
-Locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. (you will see another purple sire with a dark blue stripe so make sure you get the light blue one) There are several wires that are close, but you should be able to pick it out easily. Once you are confident you have the correct wire – cut it!
-Now is a good time to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. If you have cut the correct wire there should be three lights that stay illuminated: esp/abs/the sliding vehicle
-Prepare the wire you just cut by striping and then tinning the ends with solder. Also, strip and tin the new lengths of wire you are going to run to the switch. Once you have them prepared, solder the wires together.
-Wrap the soldered joints with electrical tape.
-Drill a hole in the dash to mount the switch. Route the spliced wires through the dash and to the area you are mounting your switch. I mounted mine on the dash above the speaker. I’m not detailing how to get access to the back of this area as it’s easy to pull the vent out and pop of the side panel.
-Solder the wires to the toggle switch. The lead that is running towards the rear of the Jeep is attached to pin 1.
-Slide the toggle switch through the hole and put on the retaining nut.
-Put the Dash back together.
-I also wrapped the bundle of wires up with electrical tape because I wanted to keep my work tucked away so to speak"

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 08-21-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
"Once complete, when you want to switch the ESP you just flick the switch off. When you flip the switch the three lights on the dash will turn on and stay on until you turn your Jeep off and start it again. The ESP and ABS will remain disabled until you turn the switch back on, turn off and restart the Jeep.
It sounds like this can be a momentary switch - hit it to disable ESP and it will automatically turn back on the next time you start the Jeep. I might try that as I'm not sure I want to have it always disabled, and I don't want to have my wife figure out what all the dash lights are on for!

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
It sounds like this can be a momentary switch - hit it to disable ESP and it will automatically turn back on the next time you start the Jeep. I might try that as I'm not sure I want to have it always disabled, and I don't want to have my wife figure out what all the dash lights are on for!

Thanks for the write-up!
You are correct. Once you hit the switch (whether your jeep is running or not) you will have deactivated the system. To reset, just put the switch back in the original off position, turn off the jeep, restart, and everything will be back to OEM settings.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Write-up