Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust For JEEP with RIPP Headers

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust For JEEP with RIPP Headers

So I have the ripp headers for my 07 JKU along with a K & N CAI, Diablo Tuner for from RIPP and MBRP Exhaust. Now everything runs great except the exhaust it sounds like a tuned up 91 Civic really raspy. was wondering suggestions on an exhaust system or just the muffler that sounds great with the stuff I have or what y'all have been running with a similar set up. lm looking for a nice deep tone was thinking about a borla muffler but am open to anything also trying to route it similar to the mbrp but i want to do a turn down before the rear axle.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dominion OffRoad Hardcore Jeep JK Products
Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 PM
JK Freak

Only problem is I really don't want to relocate my evap considering I have skids and such for it already
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck my friend...

I have had this same issue sense the day I install. I will tell what I have tried with my Ripp headers as Ripps recommendation was to put stock stuff back on. I also have there super-charger.

Ripp Headers only

-MBRP cat back system. Louder than loud. And the Drone one coasting makes your ear drums vibrate. And yes still has that rice tones.
-Stock muffler. Very ricey and got worse the more I drove it.
-Flow Master Delta 50 series. Almost no rice, however not a nice sound. Kinda like rushing water. And again the Drone on coasting was bad. Not quite as bad as the MBRP.
-V6 ford ranger muffler. Quiet at first, no drone. Baffles eventually rattles loose again. Lose of power was noticeable.
Walker OEM style muffler. Baffles lasted a week before they rattled out.

At this point I put in the Ripp resonator they sell with the headers. This it is a Flowmaster hush something I believe.

Ripp headers plus resonater.

-MBRP muffler quieter, still really, really bad drone.
-Borla single Muffler Dual exit. By far nicest acceleration sound I have found, very nice. Minimal rice at 3300 rpm. Drone was not to bad. Eventually it got to me.
-Brand New Jeep muffler. Ahhh so nice and quiet. NO DRONE. Just a touch of rice.

My recommendation Resonater with stock if you like it quiet. Or Borla if you can handle a bit of drone.
One further note on Borla. I don't know if it got caught on the trail or it just vibrated and broke. But one of dual exits broke off right at the can. No way to weld as the guts got broken as well. I suspect I caught it on something as I break almost everything. There web site says lifetime warranty, but I have not called them on it yet.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone run the RIPP muffler, resonator and headers? My understanding is RIPP came out with their own muffler last year that is designed for the headers but I haven't seen anyone comment on it. It is possible/probable that's it's essentially a rebranded muffler. I've been thinking about the headers but hesitating because of these noise threads. I want to hear it but would also like to hear the radio.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor

Headers have been known to bring out some unwanted drone and raspiness in the exhaust. You may have the best results by using the stock center resonator and an axleback like our 15160 system. The muffler is tuned to give you the deepest sound possible, and cut out the raspy tones!

Last edited by MagnaFlow; 06-02-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

I've got RIPP long tubes, hushpower resonator, and rugged ridge dual outlet muffler. No drone. Nice rumble. Been running it for years with no problems.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

I've got the RIPP headers & RIPP exhaust. I like the exhaust and prefer the RIPP exhaust over the Banks I originally had. The RIPP has no drone with a nice tone. Can't remember what stock was like but I run doors and top off as much as I can so its loud regardless. No issue hearing the radio.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Finally

Originally Posted by Dtanyone
I've got the RIPP headers & RIPP exhaust. I like the exhaust and prefer the RIPP exhaust over the Banks I originally had. The RIPP has no drone with a nice tone. Can't remember what stock was like but I run doors and top off as much as I can so its loud regardless. No issue hearing the radio.
Thanks. I've been searching for post from someone with headers, naturally aspirated engine with RIPP muffler, resonator and headers.,The older post without RIPP headers and other mufflers seem to complain about drone sound. Do you have an idle and moderate fly by video of your set up?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, no, I don't have any video, but I can say I get a lot of compliments on the sound. The Banks exhaust droned and honestly hurt my ears at high rpms. The RIPP exhaust fixed those problems. I imagine compared to stock, the headers and exhaust are much louder but it's been so long, I'd have to ride in a stock again to compare. I also linex'd my interior and pulled the plugs, probably doesn't help either. My 2-door JK is a 6-spd with 3.73 and mastercraft 315s with the headers and exhaust + RIPP tune, it made it fun to drive. Next step is the induction.

Quick Reply: Exhaust For JEEP with RIPP Headers