Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers with these tires and wheels?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel spacers with these tires and wheels?

Do yall think I will need to run wheel spacers with a 4 inch superlift 35x12.5x15 mickey thompson mtz and rock crawler series 97 15x8 with 3.75 bs?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope. 3.75" of BS will give you all the room you need and then some
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just say no to wheel spacers

Avoid wheel spacers if at all possible. I know most people will never have any issues, but I recently spent a few hours in the woods after TWO studs snapped off one of the spacers. I took them to my local tire guru and he basically said that were just a shoddy built part. Im not sure if I just had a bad egg or if they really just create that much of a weak link in the wheel/axle connection.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Avoid wheel spacers if at all possible.
Well, I would have to disagree with this statement.

I know most people will never have any issues, but I recently spent a few hours in the woods after TWO studs snapped off one of the spacers. I took them to my local tire guru and he basically said that were just a shoddy built part. Im not sure if I just had a bad egg or if they really just create that much of a weak link in the wheel/axle connection.
Who was the make of your wheel spacers and are you sure they were installed correctly? Did you make sure to torque the bolts to 95 ft. lbs. of torque and then re-tighten them to 95 ft. lbs. of torque with lock-tite after about 100 miles of use?

I have used wheel spacers in the past and when installed correctly and checked on a regular basis, they are a great solution to reducing your wheels backspacing so that you can clear wider tires and will behave no differently than an aftermarket wheel with less back spacing.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I did all the proper torque checks and loctite and the whole nine yards. The maker of the spacers was spidertrax, straight from quadratec. Everyone is entitled to opinion and mine is if you can avoid adding multiple pieces using a solid one piece, proper backspaced wheel you will just have a stronger setup.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Yes, I did all the proper torque checks and loctite and the whole nine yards. The maker of the spacers was spidertrax, straight from quadratec. Everyone is entitled to opinion and mine is if you can avoid adding multiple pieces using a solid one piece, proper backspaced wheel you will just have a stronger setup.
Oh, I agree, if presented with the opportunity, I would have to say that an aftermarket wheel is the better way to go but maybe not for the same reasons. Have you tried contacting Spidertrax about your break and if so, are they helping you out?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vote

I vote no to wheel spacers...

no matter how strong the spacer is you are putting more leverage on the hub assembly / bearings...

I would just avoid it also if possible... I noticed the JK wheels are back spaced 2 or 3 feet

they remind me of using hockey pucks for a body lift.... it may work, its just not the best solution...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I vote no to wheel spacers...

no matter how strong the spacer is you are putting more leverage on the hub assembly / bearings...

I would just avoid it also if possible... I noticed the JK wheels are back spaced 2 or 3 feet

they remind me of using hockey pucks for a body lift.... it may work, its just not the best solution...
True, they do put more leverage on the hub assembly/bearing but really no more than would an aftermarket wheel with less backspacing. Believe me, I prefer not using spacers for a number of reasons but they really aren't as bad as you would think.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we have sold approx 3000 sets of spidertrax wheel spacers without any problems what so ever. if you buy quality you will not have a problem.

David

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers with these tires and wheels?