Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra Spare Tire?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra Spare Tire?

I know by asking this question, folks are gonna say either A) That would look really cool, you can get them at ........ or B) Go buy an old Land Rover.

What do you guys think of a spare tire hood mount? Are they made for Jeeps (JK in particular)? I think it would look pretty tough.

I don't know if the hood mount would even work - due to blocking visibility. Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will that pass inspection If you had a 12.5 wide tire you would not be able to see. Maybe a 10.5. I have never seen one on a Jeep. How about the front bumper?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you hit the nail on the head with visibility problems. I'm pretty sure the hood on the JK is too tall to allow you to see over a tire on top of it.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh well, short lived dream. I don't have my JK yet so I don't have anything to base the hood/tire heighth on. heighth
Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe if your just talking about the factory tire. I have seen a mount for a tire on the hood but i can't remember where. It might have been something custom. I think it would be pretty anoying though.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

from what i have seen the sheet metal on the hood isn't that thick or strong anyway. besides the visiblity problems you would have a huge dent in the hood soon from the weight and stress, not to mention if you take it off road!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

You could possibly fit a spare tire off an '89 Civic on the hood. But thats about it.

Quick Reply: Extra Spare Tire?