Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FabFours Bumper ....OUCH!!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most of the aftermarket guys are basically price gouging a market with few options. If you look at the MOPAR front and rear bumpers, they are made of the same thickness steel, and are about the same size, as many of the aftermarket bumpers, but they are one of the cheapest out there. Now, granted, they may be getting their bumpers made by starving chinese children in bumper sweatshops, but MOPAR isn't exactly known as the "value" vendor either. Stamping "Jeep" on something normally doubles the price.

I think a few months of competition and vendors getting a good stock of the various options on hand will bring things down more in line with the TJ bumpers currently out there.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
JK Jedi

You will see a few people jump on them to be the first one to have it. Just like the people that have been paying $5000 over MSRP to get the jeep in the first place. Hey, if they can get it, great for them, they deserve it for such a nice design. I know I would rather build a 100 bumpers for $1000 each than build 200 for $500 each. If it was more in my price range, I would buy right now as it is one of my favorites. I am willing to wait a while and see what shakes out. I will probably settle for one I still like alot for a much better price.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
I think most of the aftermarket guys are basically price gouging a market with few options. If you look at the MOPAR front and rear bumpers, they are made of the same thickness steel, and are about the same size, as many of the aftermarket bumpers, but they are one of the cheapest out there. Now, granted, they may be getting their bumpers made by starving chinese children in bumper sweatshops, but MOPAR isn't exactly known as the "value" vendor either. Stamping "Jeep" on something normally doubles the price.

I think a few months of competition and vendors getting a good stock of the various options on hand will bring things down more in line with the TJ bumpers currently out there.

As a Manufacture and a Vendor I can Assure you that is not the case. If I decided to have my stuff made in china then ya you could maybe call me a price gouger, But for the most part most of the smaller bumper manufactures have all there stuff made in the U.S. Manufacturing cost in the states are amazingly high. When employers have to pay a welder $15-20 to weld stuff, & some bumpers can take several hrs to weld & assemble stuff can get expensive quick, vs in china they pay somone maybe $1 a day to do the same work?

Personally as a bumper manufacture with a few of thease Competitors bumpers I've seen (not including the one this thread is about) I'm trying to understand just how there able to sell them for so little and still maintain there company. Unless the company owns all there manufactureing equipment (which is probobly atleast $1Million upfront for the machines unless they buy old used stuff), or they have Millions to spend on ordering high quantities through there subs, theres very little mark up in a bumper. And if you compound that by having dealers and giving them a decent percentage, at the end of the day theres very little take home......

Interestingly enough though, for other vehicles on the market, for what that bumper has it would be concidered a decent price. It seams that with jeeps becuase there is such a huge following, so many different manufactures, and so much Brand loyelty it can be difficult for newer companies to stake a clame as having a product that is high quality & worth paying for.

Just my $0.02 ....
Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

I tend to agree! I think even in the US the price would vary from say one state to the next. I know the cost of running a business in So Cal. is going to be more than in a lot of other locations. ( I won't name any as to not offend someone) The types of things I manufacture are of a custom nature so I really don't understand as well the business of mass producing an item. Competition usually evens things out. If you have a good product, nice design, good customer support, you can ask more for your stuff. If it is too much, than you won't sell any. It all works itself out.

Speaking of bumpers, Expedtion One, when are we going to see a couple of pictures of yours?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I tend to agree! I think even in the US the price would vary from say one state to the next. I know the cost of running a business in So Cal. is going to be more than in a lot of other locations. ( I won't name any as to not offend someone) The types of things I manufacture are of a custom nature so I really don't understand as well the business of mass producing an item. Competition usually evens things out. If you have a good product, nice design, good customer support, you can ask more for your stuff. If it is too much, than you won't sell any. It all works itself out.

Speaking of bumpers, Expedtion One, when are we going to see a couple of pictures of yours?
I was afraid someone would ask me that....

Hopefully really soon (meaning in 2 or 3 weeks) and not just front bumpers but rear also. Right now I'm working on some tolerance issues between body & bumper, and some new concept goodies that just came to our attention having to do with design attributes that are model spacific, i.e Rubicons....
Old 01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Expedition One
I was afraid someone would ask me that....

Hopefully really soon (meaning in 2 or 3 weeks) and not just front bumpers but rear also. Right now I'm working on some tolerance issues between body & bumper, and some new concept goodies that just came to our attention having to do with design attributes that are model spacific, i.e Rubicons....
Looking forward to that

I also agree with your reply above. But would like to add that as a business owner you don't just pay for wages of an employee there is alot more.
Also when it comes to steel the past couple of years have been CRAZY in any market requiring steel production. Those that have held onto old wrecks and scrap steel are even making a premium buck selling it. Hey most of us waited long enough for our rides saving for a little longer should be a walk in the park compared

Quick Reply: FabFours Bumper ....OUCH!!