Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions Inspection - Need New Catalytic Converter.....

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Emissions Inspection - Need New Catalytic Converter.....

Check engine light on, throwing 3 codes p0430,p0455,p0456.

Was hoping that it was just an 02 sensor but auto shop is saying its the cat. Jeep is out of warranty. This place is quoting me 1300 for a new cat and labor, plus more cash for an intermediate pipe and new muffler ( muffler has a hole)

I think I just need to replace the cat to pass inspection. Where can I get one for cheaper and is it an easy job? Will aftermarket be cheaper and still get rid of my check engine light? I feel like 1300 is just too much.

Last edited by loserhead4236; 09-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Cats are emission, and have a longer warranty than most other parts. ( gov't mandated)
I'd check with the dealer first.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the warranty is 8 years/ 80k miles.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hold me to this but for some reason I'm thinking cats have a 8 yr 80k mile factory warranty regulated by government.Call your dealer to get the details
Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep is riding at 150k....

Not sure if this is a job i tackle myself or just let a shop do it since its kinda important.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by loserhead4236
Check engine light on, throwing 3 codes p0430,p0455,p0456....
Did you research those codes? P0455 and P0456 are small and gross evaporative system leaks. Repairs I've seen have nothing to do directly with the cats. Typically folks find a loose hose around their battery, or around their evaporative canister. In my case, it was the seal on the gas cap. Lubed it up a little bit and code is gone. Before doing anything else, I'd do some research on those two codes (plenty of threads on the forum), and follow some of the suggested repairs.

Code P0430 is bank 2 (driver's side) cat efficiency warning. It could be a bad catalytic converter, but it could be a sensor problem. I'd at least visually inspect those, and maybe inquire how the shop determined it was the cat converter and not the sensor. It could also be an exhaust line leak. Check around for that.

As for replacing the cats, they are sold as an entire assembly, from the exhaust manifold collector on both sides, to the crossover connection to the exhaust line. IIRC, price was around $800. Not sure you can buy just a single cat and have your original system cut and welded back up, but thinking that is probably not a good idea: If one side has failed, how much longer before you're paying for all of that labor again for the other side? If you do change them yourself, buy the special bolts and nuts that connect them to the exhaust manifold collector. Those will be very rusted and you'll want to replace them. When I removed my cats for other work on my Jeep, we had to cut one of those bolts off with a die grinder. Pain in the rear. PB'laster is your friend. Hit them the night before you start the job with it. Cat is available aftermarket if you want to risk it, minor hardware get from the dealer.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-30-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the solid info. I'm getting a 2nd take from a garage who also does inspections along with checking a few things out myself. What sensors am I looking for and where are they? Not too familiar with the whole system.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by loserhead4236
Thanks for the solid info. I'm getting a 2nd take from a garage who also does inspections along with checking a few things out myself. What sensors am I looking for and where are they? Not too familiar with the whole system.
The O2 sensors. There are two on each side. They are in the exhaust line, one before the first catalytic converter on each side, the other between the two cats on each side.

And I think second garage is a good idea for something potentially this expensive.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ill try and swap out the 02 sensors and see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok.. swapped out the 02 sensors, reset the battery, still have the check engine light. I know it may take a 2 or 3 days for it to go off.

If it doesnt, then I need a new cat. Can anyone point me in the direction of one? Is it possible for me to get an aftermarket one for cheaper, have a buddy weld it on, and then get rid of my damn check engine light? Most shops that I go to say its going to be 1100 for parts and labor

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions Inspection - Need New Catalytic Converter.....